KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY:
· Support and ensure the technical quality of Save the Children’s social protection programme (including cash transfers, in-kind food assistance, vouchers, etc) from design to implementation and documentation of arising learning and evidence.
· Provide, or obtain from Save the Children members/external sources, appropriate high level technical support on methods and practices to be rolled out within social protection programming.
· Support the continuous assessment of social protection needs and ensure that they are appropriately reflected in the Save the Children country strategic plans.
· Provide technical support and ensure social protection programmes are child sensitive and contribute to Save the Children global breakthroughs of survive, learn and be protected.
· Work collaboratively with other thematic areas on ways to integrate social protection programming in order to maximize impact for children and families.
· Conduct regular visits (70% of time) to the field offices to coordinate with field managers and senior field staff.
· Work in collaboration with Food Security and Livelihood Technical Specialists in order to build in graduation components into social protection programming. The graduation criteria should be based on evidence and need to be child sensitive by ensuring lasting/sustainable benefits on children reached.
· Provide technical support to ensure flexible safety nets framework with in-built mechanisms to enable scale up (in terms increase in beneficiaries and/or value of cash/in-kind commodities) to respond to emergencies caused by shocks such as drought, floods, increase in food prices, human/livestock disease outbreaks, etc.
Assessment, Monitoring and Evaluation
· Work closely with Programme Managers and the Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability Monitoring and Learning (MEAL) team and collaborate on the development of tools for research, assessment, monitoring and evaluation of social protection programmes.
· Work closely with MEAL team to undertake robust research and analysis from long-term cash transfer programmes in order to generate evidence on the advantages of a social safety net in terms of outcome for children.
With support from MEAL, capture and document lessons learnt in the process of social protection programming. Coordinate the collection of documentation across all the programme areas
· Where external consultants (local or international) are required to technically support or monitor and evaluate programmes, lead the recruitment and subsequent management of contracted consultants as per the recruitment guidelines and Terms of Reference.
· Analyse and provide feedback on programme implementation to ensure gender equity and adequate child participation, integrated approach and efficiency.
· Work closely with FSL technical specialist , MEAL and operations teams to ensure that all social protection projects have robust monitoring plans, baselines, reviews and evaluations in line with project designs and donor guidelines.
· In collaboration with FSL technical specialist , lead in periodic technical project review meetings with Area teams (programme/project managers) and consortium partners and internally share progress and action,
· Carry out extensive field monitoring visits to document observations and experiences and share them with Area and PDQ teams and influence management action for improvement of technical aspects in projects.
Advocacy and Coordination
· Utilise evidence for government level advocacy to convince the Sudan government and other stakeholders to treat social protection as a topic of national interest.
· Highlight critical intersections of social protection with child protection, nutrition, education, health, and other sectors.
· Help to clearly articulate the priority advocacy messages on child sensitive social protection, in particular in relation to children.
· With the Advocacy, Media and Communication team and other country programme staff, contribute to policy briefs and position papers as and when required related to the social protection.
· Actively participate and effectively & positively represent Save the Children in Clusters, working groups and technical meetings at the national level, and ensure appropriate and effective representation at state levels
· Ensure active dissemination of programme findings and lessons learned through the production of high technical quality lessons learned documents and their effective dissemination to key stakeholders.
· Represent Save the Children in various social protection forums and technical working groups (TWGs) such as Cash Working Group, Social Protection Working Group, etc.
Capacity Building and Policy Development
· Provide technical support to Sudan government in order to build their institutional and staffing capacity on social protection. The government will be supported to establish a department or unit responsible for social protection.
Work with the government social protection department to develop social protection policy and
strategy through stakeholders’ consultative process.
Support government to initiate and roll-out a long-term safety nets with a clearly defined targeting (including geographical targeting) criteria, payment mechanisms, grievance/complaints and feedback mechanism, monitoring and evaluation, all linked through a robust management information system (MIS).
Working closely with the government, engage donors and other stakeholders in establishing a social safety net for the most vulnerable groups in Sudan.
As a member of the PDQ team, demonstrate behaviours that are consistent with Save the Children’s Mission, Vision and Values and ensure their broader application by staff across the programme.
Contribute to a conducive and productive work environment typified by team work and collaboration;
Contribute to the wider country programme agenda and the humanitarian response.
Support the effective implementation of the SCI Programme Quality Framework
Participate in any donor visit to project(s) within the country office portfolio, as required.
Support the PDQ Team in the development of Strategic Plan, Country Annual Planning process for technical programme inputs and quality measures, including child participation, child safeguarding, partnership and evidence-based programming, as per the Save the Children International guidelines.
Carry out the responsibilities of the role in a way which reflects Save the Children’s commitment to safeguarding children, in accordance with our Code of Conduct and Child Safeguarding Policy.
Comply with and promote Save the Children policies and practice with respect to child protection, code of conduct, health and safety, equal opportunities and other relevant policies and procedures.
Participate actively in PDQ programme meetings, planning and review activities, providing enhanced insight into social protection programming.
Actively participate in key relevant internal meetings such as Programme Review Meetings, Senior Management Team or Area-based meetings as required. Participate in any Donor visit to project(s) within the country office portfolio, as required.
Support the recruitment and training of child Poverty programme staff in technical areas of expertise as appropriate and ensure availability of appropriate professional development opportunities.
Other tasks as required by the role.