The position is located in the United Nations Integrated Transition Assistance Mission in Sudan (UNITAMS). The United Nations Security Council adopted resolution 2524 (2020) authorizing the mandate of UNITAMS which is to assist the political transition, progress towards democratic governance, in the protection and promotion of human rights, and sustainable peace; support peace processes and implementation of future peace agreements; assist peacebuilding, civilian protection and rule of law, in particular in Blue Nile and South Kordofan (the Two Areas) and Darfur; and support the mobilisation of economic and development assistance and coordination of humanitarian assistance.
The position is based in Khartoum and is located in the Office of Support to Civilian Protection. The incumbent will report to the Senior Rule of Law Officer.
Within the limits of delegated authority, the Rule of Law Officer will be responsible for performing the following duties:
• Develops and implements policy frameworks related to the rule of law and the strengthening of the criminal justice system and related institutions in Sudan, while implementing and advising on the legal framework for institutional reform of the judiciary, prosecution service, corrections system and law enforcement agencies and legal representations or aid.
• Serves as liaison, develops, and maintains strong relationships with all rule of law interlocutors and partners in the host country, including the host government, United Nations Agencies, Funds and Programmes and relevant Member States, NGOs and civil society groups.
• Provides policy and operational advice to the Senior Rule of Law Officer through information gathering, analysis and advice on Sudanese legislation, policies and initiatives related to the judiciary, including linkages with informal justice systems; assists in programming related activities at the national level and handles a wider range of multi-disciplinary, complex and often sensitive and/or conflicting matters involving issues pertaining to criminal justice policy, reform of the judicial system, corrections system and related institutions.
• Provides innovative technical advice and assistance to local commissions and other stakeholders in Sudan to ensure cohesive and coordinated programme delivery.
• Contributes to the development of strategic plans and policymaking frameworks related to the rule of law in the context of the mission’s mandate and assists in the day-to-day coordination of key activities with other mission components (e.g. police, human rights, political affairs, gender, child protection, peacebuilding etc.) and UN entities.
• Supports rule of law programme activities including by advising and mentoring national counterparts, facilitating and organizing workshops and consultations, supporting national criminal justice system coordination, training of national actors and/or monitoring of the court and legal system, including field offices, if required.
• Advises on and prepares complex legal research and analysis and other outputs, including work unit reports and assessments, policy documents, guidelines, briefings, and other documents as necessary.
• Participates in legislative reviews and drafts commentaries and other relevant documents.
• Represents the mission and serves on various standing boards and committees, as required.
• Supports, convenes and participates in national level coordination, planning and/or reform processes and donor coordination, including through provision of support to the completion of major reviews of the justice sector and the development of long-term national strategic plans.
• Ensures effective knowledge management and information sharing, including developing a culture of respect for, and inclusion of, local actors in all rule of law programme and reform initiatives.
• Takes the lead in identifying, establishing and maintaining contacts and partnerships with other actors (national and international) in assigned areas of responsibility with a view to pursuing work programme objectives and ensuring participation in and effective integration of ideas in the planning and implementation of activities.
• Performs programmatic and administrative tasks necessary for the functioning of the work unit, including contributing to the preparation of budgets, reporting on performance and results, job interviewing and evaluation of candidates.
Performs other related duties as required. Provides language support within the rule of law team as required.