General Position Summary
The Operations/HR Officer will provide conduct the day to day operational support to facilitate the ongoing program activities. This includes facilitating the smooth and uninterrupted running of office operations such as office set-up, equipment and supplies, telephone credit, travel approvals and other, similar tasks. The Operations/HR Officer will oversee the cleaning and other services so that the office is clean, maintains a professional look and is well-functioning with established systems and efficient performance. She/he may have limited liaison work with government entities under the control of the Khartoum office. In the HR function, s/he will provide local support to the recruitment process including interviews, personnel files and other needs.
Essential Job Responsibilities
• Ensure that the office is run in a professional and responsible manner including hosting guests, cleaning, receptionist duties and general contact and liaison with outside agencies.
• Set-up and conduct the day-to-day management of the office. Ensuring the office has adequate space and allocations of desks, chairs and other equipment to function properly.
• Manage a key and basic security system within the office. Oversight of office entry procedures according to an approved policy and so that all visitors are under the control of Mercy Corps, are logged and have appropriate waiting area.
• Manage the consumables of the office (procurement, storage and distribution/use) including office supplies, leaning supplies, drinking water and other needs.
• Keep and maintain accurate inventory management records, including inventory labelling and tracking in accordance with MC Asset Management policies
• Manage the office utilities (water, internet, electricity etc) including the invoice & payment process in conjunction with the finance team procedures.
• Manage and renew office and house/apartment rental agreements under the guidance from the Khartoum office.
• Be prepared to provide basic, IT support to the office including connecting team members to the internet, printing capacity and similar. Liaise with the IT Officer in Khartoum for additional support to meet country requirements of back-up and data security.
• Conduct petty-cash purchases. Coordinate with the Khartoum office for the receipt of goods (Goods Received Notes (GRN)) as directed by the Khartoum Operations Manager.
• Establish and maintain appropriate filing systems for office correspondence. Receive and dispatch mail.
• Organize all Country travel arrangements including bookings, accommodations and transport for Mercy Corps staff and guests, and other logistics responsibilities as required.
• Provide verbal and written translation support documents, contracts, meeting, statements, records, etc. as requested.
• Co-ordinate any other necessary administrative and office management details on behalf of the Program Manager.
• Conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to Mercy Corps and to not jeopardize its humanitarian mission.
• Read and understand the global and Sudan Human Resource policies.
• Assist the Khartoum-based HR Manager with recruitment: arrange for local approvals, advertisements and conduct interviews, as necessary.
• Ensure all new national staff has a copy of Mercy Corps Personnel Policies and Procedures Handbook and insurance policy manual.
• Ensure complete HR files for each employee. Prepare and issue local contracts or other documents, as requested.
• Support the orientation of all new staff including the requisite on-line trainings such as Code of Conduct, Security Orientation, Safeguarding and other.
• Ensure compliance with security procedures and policies as determined by country leadership.
• Proactively ensure that team members operate in a secure environment and are aware of policies.
• As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
ACCOUNTABILITY TO BENEFICIARIES
• Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
• Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and MC's policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
The following Mercy Corps staff: Guards, Cooks and Cleaners.
Reports Directly To: Head of Office
Works Directly With: All White Nile staff, HR Manager, Operations Manage