ALIGHT’s GBV/ Protection Manager will contribute to the emergency response in Port Sudan, Red Sea State. In this capacity, the GBV/ Protection Manager will be responsible for day-to-day supervision and oversight of the GBV/ Protection teams (and local partner), and various protection activities, budget management, administration, coordination and implementation of the requirements of the programs at field level, with regular movements in the field whenever the security situation allows. He/ she will spend over 80% of time in the field supporting protection interventions of Gender Based Violence prevention, Risk Mitigation and Response.
S/he will also be responsible for supporting the program efforts and associated obligations on GBV prevention, risk mitigation and response based on policy, guidance of UNFPA and SoPs. S/he will work directly with communities and persons of concern to identify the risks and ensure the implementation of a community and rights-based approach. The Manager will plan and undertake quality, timely and effective Gender-based Violence (GBV) prevention and response in line with UNFPA’s policy and guidance on GBV, in an Age, Gender and Diversity inclusive manner as well as in line with the Compassionate Survivor-Centered Approach. S/he will be required to lead and strengthen the coordination with Inter-agency partners, Government authorities and persons of concern at the field, contribute to the development of action plans and SOPs, capacity building and organizing GBV field meetings, awareness raising etc. S/he will contribute to reviewing the current GBV prevention and response framework on the ground to identify critical gaps to be filled with support of the Line Supervisor.
The GBV/Protection Manager will work closely with the Protection Coordinator, Program Manager, Area Manager, Line Ministries at State level, and the other Humanitarian Actors.
Duties and responsibilities:
Program Management, Development & Reporting;
- Create and execute a work plan, spending plan and related systems to ensure that project deadlines are met and targets achieved.
- Take on overall responsibility for planning and implementation of GBV prevention and response activities in line with the organization’s strategy and program documents and in accordance with standard operating procedures.
- Function as the GBV focal point in the field and coordinate implementation of GBV interventions in close coordination with Humanitarian actors.
- Promote mainstreaming of Age, Gender and Diversity (AGD) across all sectors and activities such as health, safety and security, psychosocial and legal shelter, WASH, and Energy and coordinate with Protection teams to ensure that GBV risk mitigation is incorporated in activities of partners in all sectors.
- Provide technical guidance on integration of the survivor-centered approach into PSEA complaints mechanisms and enhance access of SEA survivors to existing GBV services.
- Support the needs/gaps and capacity assessments on GBV in close coordination with UNFPA, UNHCR, COR and partners, while ensuring compliance with ethical standards for data collection related to GBV. Take part in GBV risk assessments, GBV Safety Audit, SEA risk assessment and general protection monitoring to identify protection risks affecting the persons of concern.
- Actively participate in mapping existing services to address GBV in the various affected areas, including identifying community capacities and structures for potential partnership.
- Monitor the implementation of Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) and global standards for the GBV program, including GBV case management.
- Supervise, mentor and coach the Protection team to deliver awareness-raising activities for the affected population on protection related topics, such as child protection, GBV/ SGBV, PSEA, referral pathways, Community Based Complaints Mechanisms, FRRM, Protection Information management, Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR), Engaging Men in Accountable Practices (EMAP) etc.
- Assist the Protection team with establishing an effective referral system with service providers to ensure the affected population access tailored and appropriate services. Protection case follow ups and tracking will be essentially important in the strengthening the referral system.
- Oversee activities at various protection facilities such as protection desks and ensure appropriate data management at these facilities. Coordinate with the MEAL team to conduct Client Satisfaction surveys and Mystery client surveys to assess the suitability of protection services at facility and community levels. information centers.
- Compile protection assessment reports on the protection concerns and priorities of the IDPs population collected during the protection monitoring activities and submit to your Line Supervisor. Additionally, ensure that monitoring visits respect principles of confidentiality and that all incidents reported to ALIGHT are handled with due regard to protection principles.
- Mentor and build the capacity of protection teams on Gender Based Violence, PSEA, Child Protection, MHPSS and on all aspects or programming including technical knowledge, project cycle management, budgeting and budget management, team management, coordination and reporting.
- Ensure project reports are written and submitted in a timely manner as finalized per set schedules (weekly, monthly, quarterly and annually) and indicators and achievements are followed-up and reported upon, according to the work plan.
- Provide monthly protection trend analysis for protection interventions especially for CBP, CP and GBV in close coordination with your Line Supervisor. These reports to include, protection desk complaints, referrals and case tracking, GBV incident recordings using the GBVIMS, Child Protection tracking of cases using the CPIMS and ProGresV4 system.
- Prepare program work plans that meet the program objectives and prepare appropriate operational guidelines for project staff.
- Ensure project activities are implemented within the assigned budget parameters, in consultation with the Finance Team and the Sub sector leads.
- Participate in strategic meetings for proposal development, and provide input from field- lessons etc. in establishment/update of overall protection strategy.
- Ensure through direct action and advocacy with more senior protection staff that the necessary resources are allocated to enable protection activities to identify and address protection and assistance gaps.
- Maintain protection presence through regular field visits and reports, making direct contact with persons of concern, host communities, local authorities and partners. In operations applying the humanitarian cluster system, contribute to ensuring that the response of the Protection Cluster is grounded in an AGD framework which covers all assessed and prioritized protection needs of the affected populations.
- Contribute to the Protection team's information management component which: provide disaggregated data on populations of concern and their concerns, collect and disseminate relevant protection information and good practices to enhance protection delivery and provide technical advice if necessary.
- Ensure participatory, community-based protection and AGD approaches are included in, strategies and plans in the country operation.
- Coordinate the implementation and monitoring of programs ensuring that identified protection needs, including an Age, Gender and Diversity (AGD) are adequately addressed.
- Assist in the coordinated implementation and oversight of Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) for all protection/solutions activities.
- Support a consultative process with Government counterparts at local levels, partners and persons of concern to develop and implement integrated strategies that address the key protection priorities, including, for example, Child Protection, SEA, SGBV, and solutions approaches.
- Contribute to the development of proposals, budgets and concept notes in coordination with the Protection Coordinator, Program Manager, Area Manager, Grants team and Country Level Technical Team.
- On a monthly basis, update the Program trackers including Indicator Tracking Sheet, Activity and Budget Trackers and share with the Protection Coordinator.
- Develop and implement a context-appropriate, scalable community-based protection approach to foster self-protection capacities and engagement of conflict affected populations.
- Lead site level monthly protection staff review meetings to track the performance of the programs, follow up on agreed corrective actions.
- Provide skill-based supervision to Protection Case Management team, managing complex protection cases, file creation, interviewing/assessments, note taking, needs assessments, PSS reviews, managing sensitive cases, referring and following up on cases. Mentor and coach the protection team on case management tools and resources.
- Support the Information Management Officers, MEAL department, and protection teams in the management and analysis of information and data management, and in the generation of timely reports.
Representation & Coordination;
- Actively participate in coordination initiatives with UNFPA, UNHCR, COR, Humanitarian partners and represent ALIGHT on the forums, such as Camp/ Settlement Coordination, Camp Management meetings, Protection related working group meetings, Protection, Child Protection, GBV, PSEA, MHPSS, Mixed Migration etc. and other adhoc meetings as may be deemed necessary. Coordinate with partners and beneficiaries and ensure meaningful participation hence promoting Accountability for Affected Population.
- Liaise with other partners, particularly through the protection cluster/working group/coordination mechanism, to share findings and any issues of relevance and/or concern related to the refugee and asylum caseload. Additionally, share updates with the Protection Coordinator for meetings at the State and Federal/National levels.
- Actively participate in other working group meetings and related activities with other partners to strengthen the element of Protection Mainstreaming.
- Develop and maintain effective coordination and long-term relationships with donor and local partner and other external stakeholders, representing ALIGHT’s positions, promoting long-term strategy and resolving problems/conflicts.
Staff Supervision & Development;
- Provide leadership, guidance, and support to the protection team through regular supervision and feedback on performance.
- Technically supervise all sub sector and provide quality oversight to and mentoring of the protection teams in the field, with a strong focus on building the capacity of staff to take on management responsibilities.
- Maintain open and professional relations with team members, promoting a strong team spirit and providing oversight and guidance to enable staff to successfully perform in their positions, including communicating clear expectations, setting performance objectives, providing regular and timely performance feedback.
- In-coordination with HR department, ensure Performance Management System documentation for all staffs is in place and followed up regularly.
- Build the capacity of the Protection team to improve their range of capabilities related to the protection program and its activities.
- On request, support the HR Department on the recruitment of national protection staffs and staff orientation.
- Actively plan and coordinate logistics and movements from and to different operational areas, including in coordination with other protection teams to ensure resource efficiency.
- Take the lead in supporting the coordination of program activities as they relate to logistics, administration, finances, or security, in coordination with the relevant departments.
- Understand and support the protection staff to comply with the relevant internal policies and directives.
Innovation, knowledge management and capacity building;
- Identify, capture, synthesize, and share lessons learned for knowledge development and to build the capacity of the Protection team.
- Apply innovative approaches and promote good practices to support the implementation and delivery of concrete and sustainable protection program results.
- Contribute to the planning and monitoring for GBV programming using the Results Framework and focus in close collaboration with different sectors in the field.
- Work closely with the Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning team (MEAL) to conduct monitoring for GBV activities, assessments to related to Protection, GBV and surveys for client satisfaction.
- Identify, document and disseminate relevant project success, challenges and follow up on implementation of project’s action points.
- Contribute to the daily quality implementation, monitoring and evaluation of GBV/ Protection- related interventions in the area of jurisdiction.