We work with organizations around the world to help poor and vulnerable people overcome emergencies, earn a living through agriculture and access affordable health care.
MEAL & Program Quality Coordinator
No. of Post:
03 Dec 2023
Catholic Relief Services is the official international humanitarian agency of the Catholic community in the United States. CRS works to save, protect, and transform lives in need in more than 100 countries, without regard to race, religion or nationality. CRS’ relief and development work is accomplished through programs of emergency response, HIV, health, agriculture, education, microfinance and peacebuilding.
CRS Sudan is as dynamic and diverse as the needs of the people we serve. Since 1978, CRS Sudan has been assisting the people of Sudan across the emergency, recovery, and development spectrum. In recent years, CRS Sudan has been undergoing a transformation as new opportunity for resiliency programming emerges and the environment opens for deeper involvement of humanitarian organizations. Key sectoral areas for CRS Sudan include food security, livelihoods, nutrition, health, peacebuilding and natural resource management. Currently, CRS Sudan oversees programming across five Darfur states and the Red Sea.
Duties and responsibilities:
Under the supervision of the MEAL-PQ Program Coordinator, the Learning and Communication Senior Project Officer (L&C SPO) will manage learning and communications at the country program (CP) level and provide technical support to CRS Sudan project staff and partners in these two areas to contribute to overall improved program quality.
The L&C SPO will focus on two key objectives:
- Increase the visibility of CRS’ work and impact in Sudan through high-quality communications products disseminated to internal and external stakeholders.
- Promote cross-learning in the country program through timely documentation of best practices and facilitation of learning exchange and information-sharing across projects.
The responsibilities listed below contribute to these two key objectives.
- Project visibility and documentation
- Ensure projects’ branding strategies align with donor and CRS requirements
- Update projects’ briefing packets (talking points, photos, brochures, etc.)
- Work with CRS IT, managers, and RCO to increase CRS Sudan projects’ online presence (social media engagement, online information-sharing platforms, etc.)
- Write and disseminate success stories and factsheets
- Liaise with CRS HQ and RCO as appropriate to promote CRS Sudan projects
- Develop strong relationships with local and international media
- Update agency knowledge management platforms (Gateway, MS Teams, SharePoint site) for internal information sharing
- Reporting and Information, Education and Communication (IEC) Materials
- Produce internal publications such as email announcements, sitreps, and best practices/SOPs
- Produce and disseminate monthly program updates
- Develop and promote lessons learned and best practices through online forums (webinars, Community of Practices, online conferences)
- Support sectoral technical leads (e.g., natural resource management, agriculture, nutrition, MEAL) in designing and using tailored information, education and communication (IEC) materials
- Capacity Building and Learning
- Support and provide guidance to CRS and partner staff on effective collection of content (photos, quotes) in the field, reporting and success stories writing skills and the roll-out of the CP Communications Strategy and project-level communication strategies as relevant
- Coach staff and partners to develop tailored quality communication materials, as needed
- Support CRS Sudan staff and partners to develop and broadcast key messages and lessons learned on local radio stations.
- Support project teams and the CP in developing learning agendas, drafting and reviewing SoW for learning activities, and producing learning reports and presentations.
- Event Management
- Support the CP and project teams in the coordination and organization of major events such as learning events, exchange visits, donor visits and anniversary events.
- Collaborate with project managers to build partner capacity to organize key partner events and communicate with a larger audience.
Minimum Qualification, Skills and Experience Required:
Qualifications and Experience:
- Master’s degree in a field related to International Development or Communication, plus three years professional experience in communication and information management or multiple years of experience in communications in case of Bachelor’s degree
- Media and social media outreach experience
- Strong English writing skills
- Photography, videography and interviewing skills (both content capturing and editing)
- A strong capacity for analysis, communication and information management
- Full proficiency in spoken and written English and Arabic required
- Ability to meet tight deadlines and work under pressure
- Ability to handle large volume of work through excellent organization and priotization skills
- Commitment to creating positive environmental, social and cultural change
- Excellent interpersonal skills, team worker and good listener
- Openness and willing to learn from others
- Ability to take initiatives and be flexible and adaptable in a changing environment
- Research skills would be an asset
- Computer literacy (Microsoft Office applications, web conferencing applications)
Agency-wide Competencies (for all CRS Staff)
These are rooted in the mission, values and principles of CRS and used by each staff member to fulfill his or her responsibilities and to achieve the desired results.
- Serves with Integrity
- Cultivates Constructive Relationships
- Models Stewardship
- Promotes Learning
Key Working Relationships:
Internal: CRS Sudan MEAL & PQ unit, CRS Program Managers, Chiefs of Party, MEAL SPOs, Country Representative, Head of Programming, CRS Regional and HQ Communication Departments, CRS Sudan Operations Units (Finance, Logistics, HR, Security)
External: CRS partners, donors, local government, and other stakeholders.
Disclaimer: This job description is not an exhaustive list of the skills, effort, duties, and responsibilities associated with the position.
Catholic Relief Services carries out the commitment of the Bishops of the United States to assist the poor and vulnerable overseas. We welcome as a part of our staff people of all faiths and secular traditions who share our values and our commitment to serving those in need. CRS’ processes and policies reflect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation.
Disclaimer: This job description is not an exhaustive list of the skill, effort, duties, and responsibilities associated with the position.
CRS' talent acquisition procedures reflect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation.
CRS is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Female candidates are encouraged to apply. CRS is an Equal Opportunity Employer.