About RI: Relief International (RI) is a leading global organization and home to teams of humanitarian activist-professionals committed to transforming adversity into renewal for the world’s most vulnerable populations. By partnering with beneficiaries and communities on the front-lines, RI innovatively bridges the gap between immediate relief and long-term community development.
The WASH Assistant will be responsible to provide technical support, leading the smooth implementation of day to day activities including water trucking, operation and maintenance supports, rehabilitation/construction of infrastructures, hygiene promotion activities, distribution of NFIs, need assessment, evaluation surveys… at the community and health/nutrition/school facility level in RI Emergency Response operational areas with close coordination of the WASH TC and program Manager. He/she also lead the process of building water user committees(WUCs) and other local committees’ capacity to improve their wellbeing through adopting safe and effective water, hygiene and sanitation practices and safely operate and maintain their water points. This position will also oversee the implementation of all other infrastructure related activities in WASH operational areas, including training and capacity building of staff and beneficiaries. The position will actively participate in assessments, designs, monitoring and evaluations of RI Sudan WASH Emergency programs.
Duties and responsibilities:
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
Objective 1: -Contribute to running field activities (identification, definition, formulation of WASH projects).
- Responsible for the geographic areas of intervention and working with target populations of the project.
- To follow-up and monitor the water trucking activities, maintenance/rehabilitation/construction of WASH related infrastructures in consultation with WASH TC.
- To prepare bills of quantities, PRs, Tender documents and estimation of project durations in consultation with line manager and WASH TC.
- To control and to ensure that materials and tools are properly stored and used.
- To review and approve all construction designs and establish technical standards in materials and building techniques in consultation with WASH TC.
- To oversee the Hygiene promotion sensitization activities.
- Providing the required inputs for the geographic area to the WASH TC in the preparation of WASH related proposals & CNs (need assessments, humanitarian info, narratives, BoQs and related annexes).
- Submit bi-weekly and monthly reports as well as regular progress updates as required for the line management and WASH TC.
- Actively follow-up and monitor humanitarian situations (outbreaks, disasters, conflicts…etc) and immediately share information/data to line management and WASH TC.
Objective 2: Ensure projects implementation, monitoring and reporting
- To have good understanding of his/her project(s) and related stakes, Logical framework and indicators (LFA). Has got printed copies of all projects contractual documents and ensures that his/her team is aware of them.
- Develop local technical documents for the implementation of his/her projects and have them validated by WASH TC.
- Prepare plans, PRs, specifications and cost estimates of the prioritized construction works.
- Implement of his/her projects activities according to project plan and RI WASH standards and approaches in consultation with PM and WASH TC.
- Supervises the implementation of projects activities using planning tools (DIP, BVA Budget follow up, spending plan …) to effectively implement and within time and budget of the WASH project as per the project proposals and project requirements.
- Ensure that accurate and detailed records of project matters are formulated and kept.
- Implements donor and RI visibility on the working sites of his/her projects.
- Responsible for the implementation in the working sites of the safety and security measures/rules for both RI teams (including daily hired) and the local communities/public.
- Implement transparency and accountability measures vis-à-vis the project beneficiaries, in coordination with the MEAL team, by making them participate throughout the project cycle.
- Provide on-site technical assistance/supervision to contractors or vendors and beneficiaries during the process of implementation, including contract management of construction activities.
- Ensure sanitation and hygiene approaches smoothly implemented inorder to bring tangible behavioral change within the community.
- Prepare, compile and submit weekly updates and monthly reports to the line Manager and WASH TC.
- Undertake and draft reports input of (Donor report, government quarter report, monthly RI report, humanitarian situation analysis, KAP analysis report, terminal report,) and share to line manager and WASH TC.
- Carry out other related tasks as directed by the line management or WASH TC.
- To follow-up and carries out programs/projects monitoring and tracking (field visits, meetings, consultations) in coordination with local authorities.
Objective 3: Ensure documentation, local RI representation and coordination with other stakeholders within the intervention area
- To provide weekly and monthly plans and progress reports on distributions, water trucking, Hygiene promotions, assessments, infrastructure and other project implementation activities
- Ensure documentations of the Project activities including photos, case studies and other information's.
- Closely link with the WASH TC and update info’s on regular basis.
- To keep project records and humanitarian information's up-to-date at all time (WASH database)
- Representing RI participate in the State Cluster meetings, joint WASH assessments, surveillances, and taskforce meetings and send updates timely to line managers and WASH TC.
- Coordinates RI’s action with other stakeholders working in the intervention area.
- Coordinate with communities and get feedback from community in order to incorporate in new projects design.
- To liaise with other NGOs, various bodies and individuals, including local authorities, government agencies, clients, contractors, residents, suppliers, technical experts and other consultants.
- To plan, to organize and to carry out tenders on bid offers in collaboration with the Program Manager and WASH TC.
- To keep an inventory of the material and consumables used in the field.
- To monitor and control WASH stock balance and prepare R.O. for replacement when needed according to project document.
- To actively follow-up all pending orders until final and timely delivery.
Objective 4: Contribute pro-actively to HR management (including national staff career plan development)
- Is the functional and hierarchical manager for the WASH teams working under his/her supervision.
- Takes part activities in the recruitment and the training of his/her staffs, in cooperation with the HR administrator or the Area Manager.
- Ensure the evaluation (performance appraisal) of his/her staff.
- Ensure that WASH staffs weekly movement plan are inconformity with meeting objectives of the program.
- Follow up staff movement (per diem, day-offs, annual leave tracking, timesheet.) logistical needs, and collaborate with the Operation team for necessary support.
Hygiene promotion supervisor
Minimum Qualification, Skills and Experience Required:
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
- University degree in Water Management, engineering, public health engineering or related field.
- Minimum of 5yrs field experience in WASH and/or Infrastructure.
- Experience with NGOs in relative sector is preferable.
Critical Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Good understanding of RI and Sphere, Phast and relief standards
- Good understanding of RI and Sphere relief standards
- Knowledge of and adherence to NGO Code of Conduct.
- Cross-cultural sensitivity, flexible worldview, emotional maturity and physical stamina.
- Ability to work in and contribute to team building environment.
- Ability to maintain performance expectations in diverse cultural contexts, psychologically stressful environments and physical hardship conditions with limited resources
- Readiness to travel
- Organizational skills, ability to take initiative and work independently
- Fluency in English and Arabic will be better
- Good managerial, organizational and communication skills
- Knowledge of MS Office and engineering softwires
- Good follow up, organizational and communication skills
- Strong negotiation skills
We uphold the Humanitarian Principles: humanity, neutrality, impartiality, and operational independence. We affirmatively engage the most vulnerable communities. We value:
- Transparency and Accountability
- Agility and Innovation
Please, submit your CV, work certificates and qualification and state the name of position on the envelop, a telephone contact number and three professional references to Labor Office Wad Madani or HAC or online through Sudanjob.net, Closing date: 21.09.2023, at 14:00
- Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for the interview. To find out more about Relief International please visit our website at http://www.ri.org