Duties and responsibilities:
The Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning Officer (MELO) is responsible for supporting Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning (MEL) for the program under the supervision of the Regional Program Manager (RPM) or designate. This includes writing appropriate MEL plan(s) for each activity in their portfolio, ensuring output and outcome data collection, and conducting regular MEL tasks such as key informant interviews, focus group discussions, and similar actions. The MELO will support the developing of additional MEL tools to conduct cluster evaluations and higher-level MEL tools and ensure the Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning Plan (MELP) indicators are adequately collected and tracked. This position may require regular travel throughout the Greater Kordofan Region in Sudan, contingent on the security situation and on project need, reimbursable for project-related travel expenses.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Lead all M&E processes at the activity level for the assigned portfolio under the supervision of the Regional Program Manager.
- In collaboration with senior management and program staff, develop individual M&E plans for each activity inclusive of:
- Output and Outcome Objectives
- Output and Outcome Indicators
- Means of Verification
- Responsible Parties
- Support the collection of all data required within the activity MEL plans, inclusive of conducting key informant interviews, focus group discussions, circulating questionnaires or other relevant activities.
- Request the support of the program staff to collect data required by the MEL plans when needed – inclusive of photographs, attendance sheets or other items.
- Responsible for seeking assistance from the program leadership and MERL Director on a regular basis when developing plans, to seek input on any complex or unusual activities.
- Ensure all MEL products maintain a level of quality consistent with USAID expectations.
- Support the MERL Director as requested in the development of additional MEL tools including the MELP; cluster evaluations or other qualitative tools; baseline surveys; program indicators.
- Support data collection on the ground for any cluster evaluations or baseline, mid and final surveys as requested by the MERL Director; inclusive of helping coordinate logistics required.
- Contribute to learning processes at the regional level, including leading discussions at the conclusion of individual activities to discuss lessons learned and potential follow-on activities.
- Provide recommendations to program teams on how to improve or build-on completed activities.
- Other tasks as assigned by supervisor.
Minimum Qualification, Skills and Experience Required:
- Post-secondary Diploma in a relevant field required, a university degree preferred. Other relevant certifications will be considered.
- Prior experience working on USAID-funded projects preferred.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office programs.
- Experience in developing and using all basic M&E tools such as key informant interviews, written questionnaires, and focus group discussions preferred.
- Effective written and oral communication as well as interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated problem solving and analytical skills and good judgement.
- Be proactive, have strong prioritization skills, and ability to work cross-culturally.
- Possess demonstrated leadership skills, humility, and self-awareness.
- Have a basic understanding of local and national context relevant to the program.
- Fluency in written and oral English and Arabic is required.
- Position open to Sudanese nationals only.