Duties and responsibilities:
- Oversee the development of the country’s MEAL strategy in coordination with the CMT, programme team and the IPs.
- Roll out the MEAL strategy, ensure effective collection of ongoing programme data, and coordinate data analysis and use with relevant Programme Managers and the Program Development Funding Officer. Support and coordinate the rollout of innovative MEAL technology and software. Design and manage the implementation of the project MEAL system in line with CAFOD and donor requirements. Design, coordinate and implement quantitative and qualitative surveys, assessments, and longevity surveys/studies to build evidence of the impact of the country programme. Contribute directly to achieving the country programmes’ strategic objectives and components by implementing an agreed country-integrated monitoring and evaluation system. Develop, prepare briefs, and write up to management based on evaluation and review results to ensure informed decision-making and identify sub-regional and national priorities. Develop an effective orientation programme to facilitate the country programme team and the IPs to understand and become familiar with the country MEAL system/framework. Liaise with programme PMs/Leads at country and partner levels to ensure internal and external MEAL requirements are scheduled and budgeted in every project/programme budget. Ensure cross-cutting issues, HIV/AIDS, gender, environment, Beneficiary Accountability, conflict sensitivity/”do no harm” approach is incorporated, monitored, and evaluated. Ensure a harmonised MEAL framework and systems in the country programme from data sheet collection to the database.
Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning Management:
- Coordinate and supervise MEAL activities and ensure MEAL framework (indicators, tools, and methodologies) and practices are aligned to standards and compliant with CAFOD and donor requirements. Facilitate capacity development of the country programme team and the IP staff in MEAL. Manage continuous monitoring and periodic evaluations of the country projects/programmes as designed in work plans and provide consolidated reports to Program Managers and leadership team that summarise implementation progress, trends, variances, and learning. Facilitate periodic review of performance metrics with program teams to ensure projects/programmes are within the design and implementation principles of the MEAL framework. Provide MEAL technical support to IPs as they adapt, design, and implement projects/programmes. Development, training and maintenance of the project’s MEAL reporting templates, training manuals and standardised tools to enhance monitoring and reporting. Work with the programme team and the IPs to develop and standardise surveys and other data collection tools for monitoring projects/programmes. Coordinate recruitment of consultants and oversee recruited consultants during surveys, baselines, and evaluations. Promote measures to safeguard MEAL institutional memory by advising on reporting, data management and communicating lessons learned from MEAL. Follow up on necessary action points from the monthly/quarterly programme review and strategy meetings. Train programme team and IP staff on MEAL tools, data collection and analysis and basic surveying and sampling techniques. Assist project staff in managing programme data for regular monitoring of programme progress. Develop monitoring plans for all proposals in collaboration with Programme Managers and the PDFO. Provide additional support to programme management activities. Input into developing/reviewing the country’s strategy, new projects, and donor proposals.
Capacity Strengthening of IPs:
- Review IP proposals and advise on the suitability of the MEAL framework. Conduct IP capacity needs assessment regarding MEAL. Work closely with the IPs and support them in developing a functional MEAL system. Organise and conduct periodic MEAL training for the IP programme staff to equip them with the relevant skills required for accountability and effective delivery of programmes. Support IPs and build their capacity on accountability and community feedback mechanisms.
Documentation and Reporting
- Lead in writing MEAL reports and coordinate documentation and dissemination of findings. Maintain adequate documentation and records for the project’s initiatives that ensure processes, activities and statistics are well captured and records kept in line with established MEAL policy and protocols. Support the codification and dissemination of best practices. Facilitate staff training on documentation and record keeping and enforce adherence to standards and protocols. Support MEAL elements of the proposal and report writing, including providing data, indicator progress and monitoring plans in cooperation with the programme team and the PDFO.
Data Quality Assurance:
- Ensure data quality standards are maintained for the projects/programmes. Review and analyse monthly monitoring data and work with project teams to identify and resolve variances. Coordinate with the Programme Managers and the PDFO in strengthening quality control of all project/programme MEAL data to ensure data integrity for analysis, tracking, and validation.
Networking and Representation:
- Develop and maintain strong collaborative relationships with colleagues, partners, and relevant stakeholders. Represent and participate in relevant forums and working coordination meetings whenever nominated. Maintain a network of peers and professional contacts to exchange ideas and information. Maintain good public relations and promote the visibility of CAFOD work in Sudan. Participate in the quarterly management and country strategy meetings.
- Line-manage the Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning Officers/Accompaniers and any additional temporary or surge capacity MEAL staff, including recruitment, day-to-day management, development and training, and appraisals following CAFOD People policies. Ensure line-managed staff receive supervision, mentoring and training to develop their personal and professional skills, knowledge and understanding. This may be through on-the-job training and taught sessions. Hold regular team meetings with the assigned programme support staff, reviewing team and individual objectives and ensuring team members are informed of issues relevant to their work. Promote the health and security of the monitoring and evaluation teams in the field by ensuring the application of security guidelines, provision of essential communication equipment, guidelines for health and safety in the workplace and healthy living conditions and practices. Proactively employ practices that lead to staff motivation and retention; and provide for succession.
Minimum Qualification, Skills and Experience Required:
I. Proven experience in MEAL programming and management. II. Knowledge of MEAL-related systems and procedures III. Knowledge of M&E concepts, frameworks, and tools; managed, analysed, and interpreted M&E data IV. Ability to facilitate training V. Excellent writing skills, including experience in donor reporting VI. Willingness to undertake travel VII. Bachelor’s degree and master’s degree in statistics, demographics, public health, or international development required VII. Minimum of 7 years experience working in monitoring and evaluation with INGO’s IX. Proven success in designing, implementing and operating M&E systems from project initiation to close out X. Experience in strategic planning and performance management, including indicator selection, target setting, reporting, database management, developing M&E plans, developing data collection tools, and performance monitoring plan XI. Knowledge of the primary evaluation methodologies (qualitative, quantitative, mixed-method, and impact) and XII. data collection and analysis methodologies. Fluency in English; excellent written and oral communication skills, including facilitation and cross-cultural communication. XIII. Strong attention to detail, organisational and time management skills XIV Computer proficiency in Windows environment (Microsoft Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint) and proficiency in online research.