Duties and responsibilities:
- To manage all operations related to the Project according to the work plan, project document and implementation strategy. Troubleshoot, as needed, to prevent disruptions in daily program activities Liaise with MSD Portfolio Lead, as necessary.
- In close collaboration with the Director of Program, MSD Portfolio Lead and Human Resource Manager build the Project team program staff ensuring that there are fluent communication channels, that the reporting schedule is timely met and that program objectives are achieved.
- Coordinate and share information with the MSD Portfolio Lead to ensure overall project targets and donor obligations are being achieved. Troubleshoot reporting and programmatic needs. Advise supervisor on suggested improvements and necessities, as required.
- Design and conduct training community in any areas related to the Project activities for staff, other trainings, communities and project beneficiaries.
- Produce written reports on the program activities capturing activities related to Production & Productivity, Market Access, Gender Empowerment & Equity, Youth Employment/opportunity, and Practice in the format provided by the Team Leader.
- Maintain written correspondence with the Director of Program and other program staff responding to daily program necessities.
- Coordinate closely with the MSD Portfolio Lead, Director of Program, Human Resources Manager, and relevant administrative and finance staff to ensure proper logistics, administration, human resources and transport needs of the program are conducted within MC policy and with the maximum benefit to the program.
- Work with the MSD Portfolio Lead & Director of Program to forecast expenditure surpluses and deficits to enable adjustments to be made to the program in a timely fashion.
- As security permits, spend a minimum of two weeks a month at the field sites monitoring project implementation and overseeing all projects activities.
- Oversee the program filing system for all Project related activities and ensure that information is organized according to the reporting and auditing needs of the program. Ensure required levels of confidentiality.
- Ensure ensuring that sustainability is the highest priority for the action and at the heart of everything we do. Through our partnerships with producerís groups and MSMEs to strengthen market access and financial services, the focus will be on sustainability of economic opportunities.
- Ensure that Project fits into the strategic plan and agricultural strategy and provide input into the strategic plan. Overall responsible for obtaining any permissions or reporting of the Program activities required by the Government.
- Provide written and oral translation and report writing for program staff, as necessary.
- Conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to Mercy Corps and to not jeopardize its humanitarian mission.
- Ensure establishment and maintenance of relationships with communities, village councils and local government in the target districts the area.
- Mobilize communities to participate in the design, implementation and maintenance of projects as well as design viable strategies which are both respectful with the local culture and sensitive towards the female population but that are effective in engaging women in the activities of the program.
- Ensure close coordination with relevant government institutions (Ministry of Agriculture, Humanitarian Aid Commission, Government representatives, etc.).
- Stay informed on Sudan-wide cross-cutting issues relevant to the Project including agricultural programming, agri-enterprise development, livestock issues and community development initiatives
- Assist in the recruitment and training of program staff to ensure staff are of the quality and capacity to ensure the successful implementation of all Program activities. Monitor and advise on staffing needs throughout the program. Ensure evaluations and disciplinary measures are made, as necessary according to MC policy.
- Ensure the close coordination and sharing of information between the various sectors of the program staff including engineering, agriculture, community development and program support with regular program meetings and activity plans.
- Provide direct and ongoing supervision and managerial support to all national staff, including agriculture, community development, and programme support staff.
- Develop the capacity of the team, deepen understanding of their roles and assist with career development.
- Assist team members with information, tools and resources to improve performance & reach objectives.
- Promote accountability, communicate expectations and provide constructive feedback informally and formally via regular one on ones and performance reviews.
- Create and sustain a work environment of mutual respect where team members strive to achieve excellence.
- Hire, orient and lead team members as necessary.
- Ensure compliance with security procedures and policies as determined by country leadership.
- Proactively ensure that team members operate in a secure environment and are aware of policies.
- As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
Accountability to Beneficiaries
- Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically
to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
- Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and MC's policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
Minimum Qualification, Skills and Experience Required:
Knowledge and Experience
- This position requires a Bachelor or masterís degree in Management, Engineering, Economic or Social Science.
- 3 -5 years of experience focused in the management of development Programs involving rural communities to promote sustainable development.
- Experience in project management related to agriculture, livestock protection and community mobilization
- Administrative capacity and planning skills to manage a large team of national staff of multiple sectors.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbally and in written.
- Effectively coordinate with district, provincial and national authorities the program activities ensuring that there are synergies built with the national policies. Keep authorities abreast of the progress of the program.
- Extensive travel to program areas is required.
- This position requires excellent command Arabic and English.
- This post requires a high computer literacy with a full knowledge of office applications.
- Sincere commitment to engaging women in community agricultural initiatives.
- Internationally recognized qualification in project or program management or a commitment to obtain the qualification in the early months of work.
- Knowledge of Sphere standards and other training in humanitarian response preferred.
The ability to interact effectively with international and national personnel is required. A demonstrated ability to multi-task, meet deadlines and process information in support of changing program activities is necessary. A professional standard of program, finance and procurement ethics as well as the willingness and ability to enforce compliance with Mercy Corps and donor policies and procedures is essential. The post must be willing to travel to Mercy Corps field offices and project sites.