Sudan Federal Ministry of Health (FMOH) is a key partner to the Global Fund to fight HIV/AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria (GFATM). FMoH assumed the role of the Principal recipient of GFATM grants in Sudan, namely Health System strengthening grant since 2015. This role was further extended to include both Malaria and Health Systems Strengthening grants for the period 2018-2020. In its role as the principal recipient, FMoH ensures quality financial management, timely procurement of supplies and services delivery as well as efficient monitoring and evaluation of grant implementation activities. A dedicated Project Management Unit (GF-PMU) is and will managing the GFATM grants (2015-2017 & 2018 - 2020) with an approved budget of over US$ 120 Million. The Unit provides quality assurance and oversight, guidance to routine management of (GF-PMU) Program funded by the Global Fund. The overall goal of the project is to prevent deaths caused by diseases, reduce the burden of HIV and Tuberculosis, interrupt transmission of HIV/Aids, reduce morbidity, and to contain and prevent Malaria outbreaks, as well as to strengthen the Health System.
Job Purpose/ Summary :
Plans, executes and follows- up the PMU medical and non- medical purchases and civil works to ensure effective and efficient activities either directly or through specialized agents also supports the implementation of the procurement activities as well as provides support in a collaborative, client focused, quality and results-oriented approach and in close collaboration with the program, finance, and monitoring and evaluation staff within the PMU and the country office.
Duties and responsibilities:
Duties & Responsibilities
- Provides analytical inputs to elaboration and implementation of operational strategies focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Ensures full compliance of procurement activities with FMOH rules, regulations, policies and strategies including support the development of effective internal controls, and the proper design and functioning of a client-oriented procurement management system.
- Supports the implementation of contract strategy for PMU including tendering processes and evaluation, contractor appraisal, evaluation and negotiation of offers, management of the contract and contractor, legal considerations and payment conditions, risk assessment.
- Support FMOH/PMU in procurement business processes mapping and elaboration/establishment of internal Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) in Procurement, control of the workflows within the PMU Procurement Section in close coordination with supervisor.
- Supports the implementation of strategic procurement for PMU including sourcing strategy, supplier selection and evaluation, quality management, customer relationship management, e-procurement introduction and promotion, performance measurement.
- Analysis of requirements and synthesis of proposals for cost saving and reduction strategies.
2- Supports management of procurement processes for the PMU focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Timely and duly preparation of procurement plans for the GF project including costing, scheduling and applicable procurement methods and monitoring of their implementation according to the government, GFATM and partners regulations and guidelines.
- Prepares and revises the procurement requests from different sections according to the approved plan and budget and ensures the availability of all requirements including specifications and distribution plans.
- Review the quantification and specification of commodities in close collaboration with FMOH departments and updates counterparts on procurements activities on a regular basis including the provision of feedback.
- Jointly with the PMU sections and in consultation with relevant counterparts, prepares requests for proposal, invitations to bid and requests for quotation while ensuring proper monitoring and control of procurement processes.
Participate in procurement committees to evaluate offers and make recommendations for the finalization of purchases and the award of contracts; analyzes and evaluates tender results.
- Support in the development and management of the vendor and price databases, elaboration of supplier selection and evaluation criteria, quality and performance measurement mechanisms.
- Ensures adherence to contractual agreements, recommend amendments and contract extensions, advise concerned parties with respect to contractual rights/obligations;
- Implementation of proper monitoring and control of procurement processes including organization of RFQ, ITB or RFP, receipt of quotations, bids or proposals, their evaluation, negotiation of certain conditions of contracts in full compliance with FMOH rules and regulation.
- Together with the GF Procurement Officer and other members of the GF procurement team undertake and monitor forecasting for health-related (tests, drugs etc) and other products.
- Review specifications, Terms of Reference, and Scope of work to ensure completeness, accuracy and compliance with quality standards, particularly for medical items;
- Proactively seeks engagement of counterparts and PMU heads of section in seeking to bottlenecks in procurement.
- Ensure compliance with Global Fund /FMOH procurement guidelines and procedures.
- Ensure that procured health products comply with international and national standards.
- Be a team player with a vision of strengthening team spirit and engagement.
3. Ensures facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing in the PMU focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Organisation and participation in the organization of training for the PMU staff and Counterparts on Procurement.
- Synthesis of lessons learned and best practices in Procurement.
- Contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
- Perform other related duties as required by the Supervisor.
Job & Other Relations :
Internal Job Relations :
- Monitoring and Evaluation section
- RSSH and Malaria section
- Supply Chain Section
- Administration Section
- Finance Section
External Job Relations :
- Federal Ministry of Health and its Departments.
- State Ministries of Health
- The Legal Department of the FMOH.
- The Ministry of Finance and Economic Planning.
- National Medicine Supplies Fund, NMSF
- Customs Authorities.
- UN Partners UNDP, UNICEF, WHO
Minimum Qualification, Skills and Experience Required:
- Bachelor of Business Administration, Economics or equivalent.
- Specialized training courses on public procurement and administration is highly desirable
- 5 years or more of relevant experience at national or international level in procurement management.
- Knowledge of the FMOH and GF procurement management procedures is highly desirable.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc) and advance knowledge of web-based management systems.