Duties and responsibilities:
- Supervise the Accounting staff.
- Oversee, review, and assist in daily accounting functions: cash status sheet, accounts reconciliations, bank to bank transfer of funds, check preparation, journal entries, issues with advances, and other transactions.
- Month-end closing of books, compile reports to home office; meet with Country Representative to present monthly analysis and assist with monthly financial memo to headquarters; auditing of purchase journal and general ledger.
- Assist Country Representative with preparation and submission of annual budget requests to headquarters.
- Ensure total compliance with staff tax requirements, including required remittances, and compliance with employer requirements for taxes and benefits.
- Review the monthly payroll sheet, salary wire transfers and cash payments, SIF contribution and tax payments.
- Oversee receiving, coding, and tracking bills from all sources. Ensure the proper filing of advances, invoices, bills, and related documents.
- Answer calls and email questions from vendors, home office, employees, technical advisors (TAs) and other stakeholders regarding payments, advances, rectifications,budget, financial reports, and other business information.
- Receive and review vendor analysis sheet, advances follow up sheet and track the funds received by the office from Atlanta as well as field donations.
- Receive and review monthly reconciliations of all bank and petty cash accounts. Post the necessary journal entries to make corrections or adjustment on accounts, bank charges and prepaid related payments.
- Receive and review reports regarding outstanding advances, medicine inventory QuickBooks, quarter fund transfer follow up sheet, leave tracking sheet.
- Process procurement requests for vehicles, equipment, filter material pipe filters, computers, and other items as necessary.
- Recommend, evaluate, and otherwise manage vendor relationships with the objective of generating the optimum market response to the organizationís needs for good and services.
- Initiate, process, and maintain records and invoices relating to purchases, reimbursements, receipts, and related materials.
- Review expense claims/vouchers submitted by employees, consultants, etc., for reimbursement or advance of travel funds, per diem, miscellaneous expenses, etc. Recommend approval or disapproval of claim/voucher and, if approved, initiate disbursement action.
- Investigate with vendors any errors and questions regarding invoices or other bills to seek proper resolution.
- Perform monthly analytical review of actual expenses to budget and report results to the Country Representative.
- Provide monthly forecasts to the Atlanta office representing spend to date, remaining budgeted activities through the end of the fiscal year and any known adjustments to the future monthsí spend.
- Perform monthly analytical review of medicine field inventory reports for comparison with program treatment reports.
- Perform monthly review of changes in the balance from the prior month to identify problems and ensure foreign exchange accounting is consistent with established procedures
- Visit sub offices as needed to test controls and compliance with The Carter Center financial and business policies.
- Coordinate the retrieval of audit samples in response to requests from Carter Center auditors as necessary.
- Facilitate the provision of reports to the auditors on inventory testing procedures performed during the year.
- Special analysis projects as required.
- Perform such other duties as may be required from time to time.