Specific Objectives of the Post
Safety Risk Management: Implement and adapt safety risk management procedures, ensuring that risks are clearly understood, and LSRs/SOPs/Contingency Plans reflect the program needs in the operation areas.
Oversee Work of Safety Focal Points (SFPs): Oversee work of SFPs across the operational areas, providing input, advice, and review of key security documentation, ensure compliance to safety protocols and coach the SFPs on their safety role.
Trainings: Provide on-job safety trainings to staff and outsource for specific safety and safety trainings based on analyzed training needs.
Liaison and Coordination: Regularly attend safety coordination meetings and liaise with other actors in monitoring safety environment.
Reporting: Ensure prompt incident reporting and action as needed and compile monthly reports as required.
Roles and Responsibilites
- Implement NCA's Safety Risk Management standard, including facilitating threat and risk analyses for NCA's operational areas, devising risk mitigation measures, and updating CO safety and contingency plans. Oversee implementation of location and situation-based local safety rules/ standard operating procedures (SOPs) as applicable and ensure staff adherence to protocols.
- Adapt risk assessment and safety protocols to the shifting operation context in the country as need may be.
- Implement an incident and crisis management plan for the country identifying and assigning responsibilities as appropriate, in consultation with Country Director/Area Manager.
- Participate in safety crisis management.
- Quality assess the LSRs, SOPs, visitor briefings and other documents produced by SFPs.
- Ensure that SFPs are familiar with Sudan SRM, recommended mitigation measures, contingency plans and so on.
- Support the SFP in developing an action plan for the implementation of mitigation measures in their area of responsibility and support/advise them throughout the implementation of those measures.
- Ensure that SFPs are implementing mitigation measures as per Sudan SRM especially for movement tracking, communications, vehicle safety and incident response.
- Support the SFPs during an incident/crisis response in their respective area of responsibility.
- Support the SFPs in analysing developments in the security environment and adjusting existing/implementing new mitigation.
- Conduct safety trainings to all new staff before deployment to field locations.
- Analyse staff safety needs and share with line managers.
- Develop a catalogue of mandatory trainings that staff should undertake before deployment to deep field locations and communicate this to line managers.
- Maintain records of staff safety trainings.
- Outsource specific safety trainings and liaise with line managers to identify who can benefit from the same.
- Conduct regular refresher safety trainings to security guards deployed at NCA premises.
- Train staff on the use and maintenance of communication equipment: Thuraya phones, radios
- Ensure close coordination of NCA safety protocols with other actors in the operation areas and keep monitoring for any actions that may elevate our safety risk for immediate remedy.
- Attend safety coordination meetings regularly and keep the Country Director and Area Manager informed on any new developments.
- Liaise with the Logistics department for cargo movements to ensure safety protocols are followed.
- Liaise with the Operations’s department before vehicles are deployed to deep field locations to assess the vehicle conditions, drivers’ awareness of safety requirements and safety provisions in the vehicles.
- Liaise with the Safety Advisor at Head office and keep updated on new NCA global safety issues as they emerge.
- Ensure that incidents are promptly reported, and clear actions are taken as needed.
- Compile monthly safety reports and share with the Country Director and Area Manager.
- Ensure that staff understand and clearly apply the incident reporting tools as needed.