Describe the major responsibilities, principal tasks, competencies and end results for which the position is accountable (limit responsibilities to
five). Include WHY it is done and the impact to the organization. List the responsibilities in the order of importance and state the percentage of
time the employee spends on each responsibility during a typical year.
Emergency preparedness & strategy development
• Providing leadership, vision and strategic direction to CARE's programming in humanitarian and recovery portfolio.
• Lead on developing and updating the Emergency Preparedness Plan (EPP) for the country office, and ensure smooth implementation and achievement of objectives.
• Update regularly the CARE Sudan EPP and contingency plans.
• Lead on setting up a CO Emergency Response Team (ERT) for sudden onset emergencies, framework agreement with partners and vendors, training and preparing ERT members, managing pre-stocks and other preparedness activities.
• Lead on development of response strategies for new emergency responses, and ensures executing the response strategy for all aspects of CARE's humanitarian and recovery programming.
• Positioning CARE as a leading humanitarian organization in Sudan in terms of partnership, quality and accountability, with a clear gender focus.
• Lead on organising the execution of emergency assessments, and ensure from there implementation and strategies are developed.
• Assist the Deputy Country Director - Programs and Funding and Reporting Coordintaor in securing donor funding for the emergency response strategy and support project design and proposal preparations for institutional and multilateral funding.
Emergency Response & Management
• Act as emergency response manager in times of acute crises and ensures initial set-up of CARE's emergency responses.
• Oversees the humanitarian project portfolio, overall responsibility for a coordinated and planned implementation.
• Line manages Emergency Program managers and sector leads for ongoing responses.
• Maintain ongoing surveillance of the evolving humanitarian emergency situation and adjust activities accordingly.
• Ensure adequate monitoring, reporting and acquittal of emergency activities in accordance with the CARE International emergency toolkit and protocols.
• Ensure emergency activities are carried out in accordance with the Sphere Minimum Standards and Humanitarian Charter in disaster response.
* Monitor project implementation against contractual requirements, including through regular field visits to ensure timely and appropriate delivery of project inputs/outputs/outcomes.
*Ensure that gender equality is integrated into all aspects of emergency response and preparedness activities and operations.
*Ensure the emergency portfolio adheres to relevant CARE policies and procedures, its alignment with the CARE humanitarian and emergency strategy, and its alignment with the country office programming.
• Ensure the Senior Management Team is kept informed about assessment progress, emergency response implementation and strategies, project plans, progress reports, and other significant developments
Technical support and capacity building
*Provide technical assistance acroos our humanitarian protfolio, particularly in FSL, and support and mentoring to project and partner staff as required.
*Assist staff with reporting, donor compliance, adherence to quality standards and capacity building.
*In down-time, develop and implement a capacity building plan aimed at regularly training and supporting CARE staff members in humanitarian programming ,and where possible, partners as appropriate.
• Draft regular situation reports and human interest stories to share with wider CARE International members
• Represent CARE in national and international Emergency Preparedness and Response coordination mechanisms such as within the different clusters
• Actively participate in inter-agency coordination meetings and other relevant forums both at Khartoum and field levels as required
• In coordination with the Deputy Country Director-Programs, pro-actively liaise with donors to identify funding opportunities
• Establish and maintain constructive working relationships with other NGOs, UN agencies, host government, bilateral and multilateral donors, and other principle stakeholders
• Liaise regularly with the emergency coordinators of other in-country INGOs and UN bodies, to maintain high standards of operational and strategic effectiveness
• Ensure that CARE International Members are aware of humanitarian developments and CARE’s response to them.
*Build effective and fruitful partnerships with local implementing partners based on CARE's partnership principles.
OTHER RESPONSIBILITIES AS ASSIGNED
* Perform other duties as assigned by the the supervisor
* Be aware of the CIS Safety and Security Management Plan (SSMP) and comply with it at all times
* Be aware of CARE’s commitments to Gender and Diversity, PSEA and strive to uphold them