Under the overall guidance of the Sudan Country Director and the Regional Director for East and Horn of Africa, and working closely with SAYARA’s HQ, the Programmes Manager (based in Khartoum) is responsible for managing the implementation of the SAYARA’s programs in Sudan.
S/he will provide day-to-day management of projects within the Sudan portfolio, supported by the Country Director and the Regional Director as well as the HQ. S/he will guide staff to facilitate harmonization of activities with clients and other stakeholders to maximize results. In addition, s/he will take a holistic view of the programmes across Sudan and ensure effective design, delivery, management, administration and staff support. S/he will report directly to the Country Director. S/he should have a proven track record of taking ownership of all aspects of project management including writing proposals, implementing budgets and workplans, directing fieldwork, managing staff in the office and the field, documenting program progress and processes, and maintaining positive relations with clients and staff.
The programmes manager will have the following responsibilities:
Programmes Management – Financial, Administrative and Human Resources:
· Undertake day-to-day management of programs in both substantive and operational issues ensuring optimization of human and financial resources and nurturing a culture of results with highest performance standards;
· Manage budgets and facilitate budget approvals and revision processes as per SAYARA policies and procedures;
· Assign duties to staff, oversee workloads, and provide ongoing support to ensure that staff have the tools and capacities necessary to succeed
· Ensure appropriate programmatic and accounting documentation as required by SAYARA and preparation of required financial reports. Facilitate transparent financial management that is able to stand up to regular audits and evaluation;
· Approve requisitions, and follow up on purchase orders and payment requests in SAYARA systems and other relevant systems such the client systems, and ensure monthly delivery of programmes outputs;
· Prepare work plans, produce timely reports – financial and progress reports – as required by HQ and client reporting systems;
· Ensure that SAYARA rules and regulations concerning finance, procurement and human resources are adhered to with the close collaboration with the operations manager and,
· Support an environment of learning for staff within the programmes.
Programme Planning and Implementation
· Attend project meetings, both in person and remote
· Prepare progress reports for clients
· Prepare other articles, reports, and presentations
· Develop the necessary strategic documents concerning programmes planning and implementation, such as policy papers, concept notes, etc.;
· Work with the Country Director and Regional director to establish and update office management policies, processes, and reporting systems
· Develop Terms of Reference for programmes consultants/experts hired on a short-term basis and ensure proper delivery of technical services and submission of technical and other reports;
· Ensure proper coordination of the programmes implementation among implementing partners and with government ministries and administrations;
· Ensure the timeliness and quality of program outputs as well as timely preparation of reports on achievements and challenges faced within the project;
· Ensure delivery of resources and results according to planned targets;
· Ensure compliance with client contract and donor agreements;
· Promote identification and synthesis of best practices and lessons learned for organizational sharing and learning.
Management of Research Programs
· Lead, plan, coordinate assigned projects in a timely manner
· Draft concept notes and inception reports; Conduct desk reviews as needed
· Supervise fieldwork (KIIs, FGDs, etc.), collect and analyze data on a backup basis
· Train and supervise field teams
· Work in a team to write analytical reports
· Support proposal development
· Manage preparation of research instruments: Key informant interviews, Focus Groups Discussions Guide, Survey Questionnaire, M&E Frameworks
· Maintain accurate records
Representation and Resource Mobilization:
· Establish and maintain strong partnerships with clients and stakeholders (government, UN agencies, NGOs, CBOs and donors);
· Attend client meetings and maintain positive, effective communication with clients under the supervision of the Country Director and Regional Director
· Attend area seminars and other meetings as necessary
· Support mobilization of resources from different partners, including the preparation of strategies, programmes briefs and project documents, organization of donor meetings and possible field visits;
· Extract lessons learned to support programmes improvement
· Perform other duties as assigned by management.