WFP seeks candidates of the highest integrity and professionalism who share our humanitarian principles.
Selection of staff is made on a competitive basis, and we are committed to promoting diversity and gender balance.
Would you like to join WFP Sudan’s Security team and ready to be a partner with managers to deliver a proactive and effective service that will enable WFP to change and save the lives of the most vulnerable people in Sudan? If yes, this opportunity is for you.
At WFP, we are looking for a talented Security Associate in Kassala and El Obaid, Sudan, to be hired on a Fixed Term Contract at G6 level.
We are the largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. Our mission is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every single day, we work worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need. For more information visit: http://www1.wfp.org/
HOW TO APPLY
To apply, please create a personal account and fill out the profile form with your personal information at http://www1.wfp.org/careers/job-openings. If you are an internal applicant, apply through your E-Recruitment profile.
In the application form, ensure filling the mandatory sections, attaching your CV, answering the pre-screening questions and agreeing on the legal statement before submitting your application.
Selection of staff is made on a competitive basis on account of potential and performance. All applicants will undergo a rigorous process which includes screening against job requirements, a technical test, and a panel interview.
TALENTED WOMEN ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY
We look for applicants with the highest integrity and professionalism who share our humanitarian values. We commit to promote diversity, gender parity and equality between men and women.
WFP strives to build a work environment that is safe and respectful, and free of sexual harassment and abuse of authority. We believe in open communication, and every individual at WFP is treated with respect regardless of gender, age, ethnicity, religious and political beliefs, etc.
In this pursuit, WFP assists women to balance work exigencies with personal and family responsibilities by providing an attractive compensation package, including fully paid maternity leave for 16 weeks, breastfeeding time off, and the possibility to avail of flexible working arrangements. Also, we endeavour to provide our staff, women, and men, with training and professional career development opportunities.
To perform tasks related to the implementation and assessment of security measures and maintenance of equipment with a view towards providing updates and recommendations to facilitate informed decision-making and secure WFP staff, facilities and operations.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
1. Review security threats and risks in detail and compile accurate reports on trends and situations that could adversely impact WFP operations, in order to ensure information is accurately collated and sent to senior security staff to support reporting and decision making.
2. Review security related information (e.g. security incidents and events, security support to daily activities, etc.) and use corporate or local information management tools to produce a range of analyses and in-depth reports, to ensure that information is readily available for relevant stakeholders.
3. Liaise and co-ordinate with local administration, security and law enforcement authorities, communities, UN/NGO security staff and other actors, to facilitate access for safe programme delivery and to mitigate potential risks against staff and other resources.
4. Plan and co-ordinate staff activities during field missions and perform security assessments within the area of responsibility to support safe and effective programme delivery.
5. Analyse security assessment reports following field missions and present detailed recommendations for risk mitigation to support security situation analysis and facilitate decision-making.
6. Assist in advising the Country Director on security risk management matters and safety issues in compliance with the United Nations Security Management System (UNSMS).
7. Support the implementation of risk management mitigation measures, including Minimum Operational Security Standards (MOSS) to ensure compliance.
8. Support the maintenance and management of security equipment and make recommendations to strengthen technology capacity in line with business requirements.
9. Monitor and ensure that all access control procedures are effective and stringently followed by all staff and visitors, in order to maintain a safe and secure environment.
10. Maintain and develop recommendations for improving emergency and contingency planning documentation including physical preparations and procedures, to support preparedness for a crisis.
11. Deliver security training to staff and review security training needs in order to develop measures to meet business requirements.
12. Supervise and provide on-the-job training to other staff supporting their development and high performance.
13. Perform any other duties.
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Education: Completion of secondary school education. A post-secondary certificate in the related functional area is required
Experience: At least five years of progressively responsible work experience in the related area - general Security Service work.
Language: Fluency (level C) in English and Arabic.
Knowledge & Skills:
• Specialised knowledge of the application of practical methods, techniques, procedures and systems used in security, typically gained through technical training and work experience.
• Broad knowledge and understanding of security logistics, security administration, risk assessment and co-ordination with local authorities and local law enforcement agencies.
• Training and experience in fire and related intervention/evacuation procedures.
• Ability to manage emergency situations and remain calm.
• Attention to detail and constant vigilance in order to promptly detect any breach in security measures.
• Ability to interpret information, use judgement and inform supervisors of any incidents which might impact the UNWFP staff and operations.
• Excellent communication skills in order to maintain frequent correspondence with both, internal staff and external authorities with regards to security advisories and security incidents.
• Willingness to attend security trainings and comply with UNSMS standards.
DESIRED EXPERIENCES FOR ENTRY INTO THE ROLE
• Has gained sound knowledge of security operations technical processes
• Has provided technical guidance and training to staff members within area of expertise
• Has supported research and collation of data which feeds into reports that inform security operations activities
4Ps CORE ORGANISATIONAL CAPABILITIES
Understand and communicate the Strategic Objectives: Coaches team in the most effective ways to communicate WFP’s Strategic Objectives to WFP team and partners in the field.
Be a force for positive change: Implements new methods or tools to improve team’s work processes and productivity.
Make the mission inspiring to our team: Maps team’s activities and tasks to specific successes in beneficiary communities to showcase positive impact.
Make our mission visible in everyday actions: Explains to teammates how each unit contributes to the overall WFP mission.
Look for ways to strengthen people's skills: Identifies skill development opportunities such as training modules or on-the-job experiences for self, colleagues and direct reports.
Create an inclusive culture: Facilitates team building activities to build rapport in own unit.
Be a coach & provide constructive feedback: Facilitates the pairing of junior colleagues with coaches within own team.
Create an “I will”/”We will” spirit: Proactively anticipates potential challenges and develops mitigation plans to ensure that team meets goals and targets.
Encourage innovation & creative solutions: Identifies opportunities to be creative in own work and to help team be more innovative and accurate in their respective tasks and areas of work.
Focus on getting results: Monitors team’s deliverables and provides feedback to ensure outcomes are delivered consistently and accurately.
Make commitments and make good on commitments: Provides accurate guidance to team on expected responsibilities and tasks, whilst also upholding own commitment to the team.
Be Decisive: Sets an example and provides guidance to junior team members on when to escalate issues when faced with challenging issues in the workplace or in the field.
Connect and share across WFP units: Facilitates partnerships with other WFP units to accomplish missions in the field.
Build strong external partnerships: Sets an example and provides guidance to team on how to build relationships with external partners.
Be politically agile & adaptable: Articulates to colleagues or direct reports the value of contributing to other WFP teams and agency partnerships in fulfilling WFP’s goals and objectives.
Be clear about the value WFP brings to partnerships: Organizes, monitors, and prioritizes own and team’s efforts to ensure that they will fulfill the needs of internal and external partners.
Description of the behaviour expected for the proficiency level
Strategic approach to security risk management
Demonstrates understanding of strategic approaches to security to identify potential threats. Contributes to the creation and implementation of WFPs mitigation measures.
Operational knowledge of security risk management
Demonstrates some understanding of day to day security operations. Contributes knowledge to development of resolutions to aspects of challenges faced, as directed.
Security resource management
Demonstrates ability to track and compile reports on HQ and Field staffing and financial resource usage on a project-level basis.
Analysis and solution development
Demonstrates understanding of key UN inter-governmental body partner agencies. Understands implications of security information and reports and supports in the identification of mitigating actions against threats and vulnerabilities to WFP’s operations.
Planning compliance and emergency management
Supports in planning and prioritisation practices in-line with established security policies and procedures.
Before you submit your application, please ensure that you list in order of preferences the duty stations that you prefer as this vacancy announcement is for multiple duty stations.
This position is open ONLY to Sudanese nationals or those who are authorized to live and work in Sudan according to Sudanese regulations.
Qualified female applicants are especially encouraged to apply
WFP has zero tolerance for discrimination and does not discriminate on the basis of HIV/AIDS status.
WFP does not charge any fee at any stage of its recruiting process