Job Listing Detail
Issuing & Closing Dates:
Issuing Date: 28/06/2018
Closing Date: 12/07/2018
WFP seeks candidates of the highest integrity and professionalism who share our humanitarian principles.
Selection of staff is made on a competitive basis, and we are committed to promoting diversity and gender balance.
The United Nations World Food Programme is the world's largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
In emergencies, WFP gets food to where it is needed, saving the lives of victims of war, civil conflict and natural disasters. After an emergency, WFP uses food to help communities rebuild their shattered lives. On average, WFP reaches more than 80 million people with food assistance in 75 countries each year. The organization has the global footprint, deep field presence and local knowledge and relationships necessary to provide access to nutritious food and contribute to the lasting solutions, especially in many of the world’s most remote and fragile areas.
These jobs are found in Headquarters (HQ) or Country Offices (COs). They report to the Division/Country Director or the designate, and are subject to overall normative and technical direction by the Chief Engineer, WFP Engineering in relation to all matters of engineering services and construction activities.
Job holders operate under the direct supervision of a more senior and experienced Engineer holding recognised accreditation as “Chartered Engineer” or “Professional Engineer”. They are involved in day–to-day practical engineering activities and analytical work. Subject to the overall guidance, job holders complete assignments and provide advice on engineering issues, applying the established norms, standards regulations and providing expertise in making determinations and recommendations across a range of daily activities.
WFP’s greatest strength is its 14,000 dedicated people working tirelessly around the world to reduce hunger, often under difficult conditions where security threats and risks to personal safety are considerable. The global context in which WFP operates is rapidly changing which means the need for effective people management is becoming more important than ever before. In this context, WFP launched its People Strategy in November 2014. It articulates key strategic focus to build an engaged workforce, with the right skills, in the right roles enabling WFP to continue fulfilling its humanitarian response role while simultaneously building its capabilities to address the long-term goals of Zero Hunger.
BACKGROUND AND PURPOSE OF THE ASSIGNMENT
This position will be with WFP Sudan Country Office and requires the engagement of a competent Civil/Road Engineer, who will work with and report to Lead Engineer in Sudan and coordinate with design and supervision teams in the unit. The main tasks required of the position will include engineering design and review; technical support to projects; management and supervision of construction activites, public Procurement Contracting in a UN Environment and technical support to WFP's programmes and other operations in Sudan.
The Civil/Road Engineer shall be able to demonstrate in-depth technical knowledge and experience required to identify, analyse and resolve complex engineering issues, manage and direct projects and work streams, provide technical expertise, advice and solutions that support strategic results, and formulate new strategies and technical approaches where appropriate. The Civil/Road Engineer may be required to lead and manage other technical staff, external consultants and contractors to deliver engineering services or more complex projects.
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
Education: Post graduate degree in Civil Engineering, with specialization in road engineering. Hold or be eligible for Accreditation to “Professional Engineer” or “Chartered Engineer” status, or recognised equivalent by an appropriate national or
international regulatory authority (Not necessary but an advantage).
Experiene: Minimum 3 years of relevant engineering experience at increasing levels of responsibilities. Experience with international humanitarian community is an advantage.
Experience of combined infrastructure/construction projects, inspections, and contract management and proven knowledge of QA/QC procedures, measurements and costing is an asset.
Must be willing and able to effectively and independently operate in a diverse range of challenging enviornments/regions where WFP projects are located.
Knowledge & Skills
Good communication and leadership skills.
Proven ability to manage and support complex engineering and construction projects and programs, managing multi-disciplinary or cross- functional teams;
Proven expert knowledge in supervision of on-site construction works;
Capable and updated knowledge in construction or arbitration law and engineering contract management, including competence in FIDIC contracts, or similar.
Good knowledge of public procurement procedures; international contract formats and construction management procedures.
Storng working knowledge and experience with MS office (work, excel etc).
Languages: International Professional: Fluency (level C) in English language is mandatory.
Intermediate knowledge (level B) of a second official UN language is considered an advantage.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES/ RESPONSIBILITIES
Following Circular OED2014/015 and Directive RM2015/004, the Civil/Road Engineer shall report to the Lead Engineer in Sudan and coordinate with design and supervision teams in the unit or other staff member designated by the Lead Engineer and shall take technical direction from the Chief Engineer and WFP Engineering in HQ, in relation to all aspects of, design, construction and contract management for projects in Sudan, as required. The duties shall include but are not limited to the following:
1. Contribute to the implementation of WFP Policies, standards, norms and practices ensuring compliance with wider WFP policies, procedures, guidelines and operations. Apply and implement WFP Construction Manual procedures and processes.
2. Provide engineering and project management services, apply best practices, standards and innovative technologies that comply with WFP standards and processes.
3. Contribute towards the analysis of project proposal to enable effective decision making on project technical feasibility.
4. Provide expert advice and support on a range of engineering services, project management, and construction activities including the implementation of WFP policies, standards, norms and practices to ensure that outputs meet the established quality standards.
5. Provide guidance and leadership on engineering and project management servies considering country-specific technical requirements, using best practices, standards and innovative technologies that comply with WFP standards and processes.
6. Manage and control daily construction work, actively managing on-site quality, health and safety and contractor's outputs.
7. Support the preparation of accurate and timely reports on outputs to enable informed decision making and consistency of information presented to the stakeholders.
8. Provide expert guidance to ensure a successful construction procurement process.
9. Lead the capacity building, mentoring and career development of staff teams to ensure the continued development and high performance.
10. Undertake pre-surveys for various facilities across Sudan WFP operations, when required.
11. Develop project budgets or preliminary and detailed costs estimations to implement engineering projects, in coordination with the other required support works for the projects (including feasibility studies, or project schedules, or bids).
12. Preparation of Scope of Works, tender packages, tender evaluation, contracting and reporting.
13. Prepare technical documentation as regards to bidding processes, for design services (where required) and implementation of works.
14. Contribute to and assemble construction contracts documentations as directed by the Lead Engineer and under the guidance of the WFP Engineering at HQ.
15. Undertake administrative tasks as required, and provide project management services for the projects where and when requested.
16. Provide guidance and direction to contractors and design consultants.
17. Review and evaluation of planned and 'in progress' projects.
18. Maintenance of project performance monitoring, evaluation and reporting procedures, up to project completion.
19. Assurance of the quality of the works during design and construction.
20. Operate computer-assisted engineering and design software and equipment to perform engineering tasks.
21. Other as required.
4Ps CORE ORGANISATIONAL CAPABILITIES
Understand and communicate the Strategic Objectives: Understands WFP’s Strategic Objectives and the link to own work objectives.
Be a force for positive change: Flexibly adapts individual contributions to accommodate changes in direction from supervisors and internal/external changes (such as evolving needs of beneficiaries, new requirements of partners).
Make the mission inspiring to our team: Recognizes and shares with team members the ways in which individual contributions relate to WFP’s mission.
Make our mission visible in everyday actions: Sets own goals in alignment with WFP’s overall operations, and is able to communicate this link to others.
Look for ways to strengthen people's skills: Assesses own strengths and weaknesses to increase self-awareness, and includes these in conversations on own developmental needs.
Create an inclusive culture: Participates in open dialogue, and values the diverse opinion of others, regardless of background, culture, experience, or country assignment.
Be a coach & provide constructive feedback: Proactively seeks feedback and coaching to build confidence, and develop and improve individual skills.
Create an “I will”/”We will” spirit: Participates in accomplishing team activities and goals in the face of challenging circumstances.
Encourage innovation & creative solutions: Shows willingness to explore and experiment with new ideas and approaches in own work.
Focus on getting results: Consistently delivers results within individual scope of work on time, on budget and without errors.
Make commitments and make good on commitments: Commits to upholding individual accountabilities and responsibilities in the face of ever-changing country or functional priorities.
Be Decisive: Makes rational decisions about individual activities when faced with uncertain circumstances, including in times of ambiguity regarding information or manager direction.
Connect and share across WFP units: Seeks to understand and adapt to internal or cross-unit teams’ priorities and preferred working styles.
Build strong external partnerships: Demonstrates ability to understand and appropriately respond to and/or escalate needs of external partners.
Be politically agile & adaptable: Portrays an informed and professional demeanor toward internal and external partners and stakeholders.
Be clear about the value WFP brings to partnerships: Provides operational support on analyses and assessments that quantifies and demonstrates WFP’s unique value as a partner.
Description of the behaviour expected for the proficiency level
Business Support Services & Reporting
Exhibits ability to convert business plans into clear actions for team members to support the implementation of the program. Collects and reports data to draw out fact-based insights.
Internal Controls & Risk Management for Administration and Engineering
Utilises understanding of risk management approaches and internal controls to monitor projects and programmes to confirm regulatory compliance, ensure data integrity and ensure client satisfaction.
Resource Management for Administration and Engineering
Monitors trends in staffing and resource usage to anticipate and escalate potential issues to programme leaders and key clients.
Specialised Knowledge in Engineering
Applies advanced engineering knowledge in own area of responsibility and working knowledge of other engineering disciplines to provide technical support to operations and projects. Leads independent action and decision making in an engineering context.
Engineering & Project Management
Demonstrates a strong proficiency in developing project scopes, engineering and design proposals, and identifying required tasks and milestones. Applies working knowledge of project management tools, engineering technologies, techniques and best practice to track and monitor project progress, delivering projects on schedule and on budget.
OTHER SPECIFIC JOB REQUIREMENTS
This section is optional to describe additional responsibilities & knowledge required for the specific job.
DESIRED EXPERIENCES FOR ENTRY INTO THE ROLE
• Has worked effectively under supervision on a large number of varied design and construction projects and taken responsibility for work elements which have been assigned.
• Has attained advanced academic qualifications relevant to engineering.
• Has contributed to projects demonstrating knowledge of engineering specialisations in relation to fire safety, seismic blast or environmental requirements.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
This vacancy is open to qualified Sudanese Nationals Only.
WFP is the United Nations frontline agency in the fight against global hunger. In the pursuit of WFP’s mission to feed the hungry poor, WFP employees must uphold the highest standards of ethical and
professional conduct at all times. WFP has zero tolerance for fruad & corruption, sexual exploitation and discrimination
Female applicants and qualified applicants from developing countries are especially encouraged to apply
WFP has zero tolerance for discrimination and does not discriminate on the basis of HIV/AIDS status.
No appointment under any kind of contract will be offered to members of the UN Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ), International Civil Service Commission (ICSC), FAO Finance Committee, WFP External Auditor, WFP Audit Committee, Joint Inspection Unit (JIU) and other similar bodies within the United Nations system with oversight responsibilities over WFP, both during their service and within three years of ceasing that service.