GIZ assists the German Government in achieving its objectives in the field of international cooperation. GIZ offers demand-driven, tailor-made and effective services for sustainable development worldwide. Our actions are guided by the principles of sustainability. We advocate for human rights, equal opportunities and integrity, and we promote market-oriented, ecological and social economic development.
The GIZ Office in Khartoum is looking for a qualified person to fill the following position: Technical Advisor ‘Entrepreneurship Promotion’ for the project “Employment Initiative: Vocational training for refugees, internally displaced persons and host communities in Nyala, South Darfur”.
On behalf of the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ), GIZ implements a new project to promote employment and self-employment in Nyala, South Darfur. The project aims at improving the livelihoods of the local population, internally displaced persons and refugees by enhancing both the demand and supply side of the labour market. On the demand side we work with Nyala’s Small Industries and Crafts Union (SICU) and other private sector organisations to enhance their organisation and technical capacity to train workshop and small business owners. In addition to boosting the productivity and competitiveness of existing businesses, the project also targets aspiring young entrepreneurs in and from Nyala who strive to establish their own business or workshop. Again, the support will be channelled through the existing structures, such as the USIC, informal training workshops or micro finance institutions. A particular focus will be put on unleashing the entrepreneurial potential of young women.
The position holder is responsible for:
• Liaising with all relevant implementing partners in Nyala (e.g. SICU, informal training providers, relevant government departments and other implementing agencies relevant in the field of enterprise creation).
• Ensuring up-to-date knowledge of existing and new market opportunities and obstacles and ensure that all entrepreneurship development activities are geared towards viable market demands.
• Day-to-day implementation, monitoring and documentation of project activities under the project sub-component of “entrepreneurship development”.
• Liaising on a regular basis with the project’s advisor for women activities to ensure gender dimension of entrepreneurship and markets is understood and worked on.
• Providing regular updates to component leader ‘private sector development’.
• Ensuring the delivery of tailor made, high quality and market oriented trainings of trainers (ToTs) in the field of entrepreneurship development, marketing, product development, market assessment, financial management, accounting.
In this context, the position holder fulfils the following tasks:
• Supporting the strategic planning of the project management, in particular in the development and updating of the plan of operations, the capacity development strategy, a gender mainstreaming strategy and the communication strategy of the project.
• Supporting the implementation of these strategies.
• Designing, planning, and implementing project activities such as:
• Market and skills needs assessment.
• Awareness creation campaigns.
• Training of Trainers in entrepreneurship development.
• Training of Trainers in for example financial management and other business skills.
• Identifying contractors, drafting terms of reference and managing the implementation of contracts with consultants and consulting firms.
• Monitoring, documenting and evaluating project activities (incl. drafting report, meeting minutes).
• Producing communication material in English and Arabic.
• Translating documents and verbal inputs in meetings from Arabic to English and vice versa.
• Performing other duties and tasks at the request of management.
C. Required qualifications, competencies and experience:
• University degree (at least Bachelor or equivalent) in economics, business studies or another relevant field, OR secondary school diploma combined with relevant work or life experience.
• At least 5 years of work relevant experience in running a craft workshop or small business.
• Experience in project design and implementation and monitoring and evaluation.
• Ability to work efficiently with tight deadlines and competing priorities.
• Excellent English and Arabic writing and verbal communication skills.
• Excellent inter-cultural and inter-personal competencies and experience with working in international teams.
• Experience with and passionate about facilitating trainings for trainers.
• Experience with mainstreaming gender, proven communication and negotiation skills to handle sensitive situations.
• A problem-solving skills and hands-on attitude.
• Ability to draw on an existing network of small workshops and businesses in Nyala.
• Familiarity with the structure and regulations of the SICU is an asset.
• Familiarity with the language of crafts workshops in the field of, for example, mechanical, information technology, civil work is an asset.
Interviews will be scheduled towards the end or March. If you do not hear from GIZ until the 30th of April 2018, your application was not further considered.
Please submit the following documents in hard copy or soft copy, in English:
• CV (max. two pages)
• motivation letter (one page)
• A written assignment (1 page), composed in English language:
• PART 1: Draft half a page to highlight where you see market opportunities for young women and men who intend to start their own productive workshop in Nyala (e.g. which are the manufactured products that sell well? Which are manufactured products that are currently imported and sold, but that could be produced locally and sold for a competitive price?)
• PART 2: If you were asked to deliver a three days business skills training for aspiring young entrepreneurs, which key elements should be included in this training? Draft half a page with bullet points highlighting the main elements of the training.
To GIZ Office Khartoum, Amarat Street 3, House No. 15, Block 9, Amarat Town, Khartoum East or to E-mail: email@example.com
* We actively encourage applications from women and people with disabilities.