GIZ assists the German Government in achieving its objectives in the field of international cooperation. GIZ offers demand-driven, tailor-made and effective services for sustainable development worldwide. Our actions are guided by the principles of sustainability. We advocate for human rights, equal opportunities and integrity, and we promote market-oriented, ecological and social economic development.
The GIZ Office in Khartoum is looking for a qualified person to fill the following position: Technical Advisor ‘Business Development Services for small workshop and business owners’
For the project “Employment Initiative South Darfur: Vocational training for refugees, internally displaced persons and host communities in Nyala”.
On behalf of the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ), GIZ implements a new project to promote employment in Nyala, South Darfur. The project aims at improving the livelihoods of the local population, internally displaced persons and refugees by enhancing both, the demand and supply sides of the labour market. On the demand side, we work with Nyala’s Small Industries and Crafts Union (SICU) and other private sector organisations to enhance their organisational and technical capacity to train workshop and small business owners. As a result their businesses will become more productive and competitive and hence create additional employment. In particular, we aim at capitalising on the potential of female workshop owners and entrepreneurs.
The position holder is responsible for:
• Liaising with all relevant implementing partners in Nyala (e.g. SICU, informal training providers, relevant government departments and other implementing agencies relevant in this field).
• Day-to-day implementation, monitoring and documentation of project activities under the project sub-component of “business development services”.
• Providing regular updates to component leader ‘private sector development’.
• Ensuring the delivery of tailor-made, high quality and market-oriented trainings of trainers (ToT) in the field of management and organizational development, as well as business development (financial management and accounting, marketing, micro finance services, etc.).
In this context, the position holder fulfills the following tasks:
• Supporting the strategic planning of the project management, in particular in the development and updating of the plan of operations, the capacity development strategy, a gender mainstreaming strategy and the communication strategy of the project.
• Supporting the implementation of these strategies.
• Designing, planning, and implementing project activities such as:
• Market and skills needs assessment
• Awareness creation campaigns
• Training of trainers in e.g. financial management and other business skills.
• Training of trainers in organizational and management skills.
• Identifying contractors, drafting terms of reference and managing the implementation of contracts with consultants and consulting firms.
• Monitoring, documenting and evaluating project activities (incl. drafting report, meeting minutes).
• Producing communication material in English and Arabic.
• Translating documents and verbal inputs in meetings from Arabic to English and vice versa.
• Performing other duties and tasks at the request of management.
C. Required qualifications, competencies and experience:
• University degree (at least Bachelor or equivalent) in economics, business studies or another relevant field, OR secondary school diploma combined with relevant work and life experience.
• At least 5 years of relevant work experience in a technical workshop or business organization member.
• Experience in project design and implementation.
• Experience in monitoring and evaluation.
• Ability to work efficiently under tight deadlines and competing priorities.
• Good English and Arabic writing and verbal communication skills.
• Excellent inter-cultural and inter-personal competencies and experience with working in international teams.
• Ability to communicate with different stakeholders from both private and public sectors.
• Experience with and passionate about facilitating trainings for trainers.
• Experience in mainstreaming gender.
• Proven communication and negotiation skills to handle sensitive situations.
• A problem solving skills and hands-on attitude.
• Ability to draw on an existing network of small workshops and businesses in Nyala is an asset.
• Experience with running a workshop or small business is an asset.
• Familiarity with the structure and regulations of the USIC is an asset.
• Familiarity with the language of crafts workshops in the field of, for example, mechanical, information technology, civil work is an asset.
Please submit the following documents in hard copy or soft copy, in English:
1. A CV (max. two pages)
2. A motivation letter (one page)
3. A written assignment (1 page), composed in English language:
• PART 1: Draft half a page to highlight where you see market opportunities for small workshop owners in Nyala (e.g. which are the manufactured products that sell well? Which are manufactured products that are currently imported and sold, but that could be produced locally and sold for a competitive price?)
• PART 2: If you were asked to deliver a three days business skills training for metal workshop owners in Nyala, which key elements should be included in this training? Draft half a page with bullet points highlighting the main elements of the training.
To: GIZ Office Khartoum, Amarat Street 3, House No. 15, Block 9, Amarat Town, Khartoum East or by e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org
* Please do not submit any certificates with your application.
* Interviews will be scheduled towards the end of March. If you do not hear from GIZ until the 30th of April 2018, your application was not further considered.
* We actively encourage applications from women and people with disabilities.