Since 2004, the International Medical Corps has been providing targeted, integrated, and comprehensive live-saving health and nutrition interventions benefiting IDP camp, host communities, nomads refugees and returnees throughout Central, West, and South Darfur states. IMC implement primary health care, nutrition, and WASH programs, supporting 45 communities with integrated interventions. IMC also works to build the capacity of the health work force and of the community to ensure project activities are built into long-terms strategic planning and that the workforce will have the needed capacity to continue humanitarian interventions in the target communities.
The current package of services included in International Medical Corps intervention sites includes:
• Health Systems Strengthening and Clinical Support,
• Communicable Disease Prevention and Treatment,
• Reproductive Health,
• Community Health Education,
• Nutrition, and
Through this consultancy service, International Medical Corps plans to understand and determine the IYCF practices in Jebel Mara.
• The overall objective of the survey is to determine Infant and Young Child Feeding practices in Jebel Mara.
• To determine rates for:
• Timely initiation of breastfeeding (children 0-23 months).
• Exclusive breastfeeding under 6 months.
• Timely complementary feeding.
• Introduction of solid, semi-solid or soft foods.
• Continued breastfeeding at 1 year.
• Minimum dietary diversity.
• Minimum meal frequency.
• Minimum acceptable diet.
• Consumption of iron-rich or iron-fortified foods.
• Bottle feeding.
• Other optional indicators as needed.
Duties and Responsibilities of the Consultant:
The applicant will be responsible for the conduct of the survey from its inception to its finalisation.
Responsibilities include, but not limited to:
• Develop and design survey tools using the Standard methodology.
• Build the capacity of nutrition team.
• Be responsible for preparation for the surveys including sample size estimation, population size , and clustering of the villages etc.
• Train the survey teams (including pre-testing questionnaire).
• Assume overall responsibility for implementation of the surveys, including daily supervision of survey teams, daily data quality assurance.
• Be responsible for data cleaning and analysis using Softwares like Epi Info, SPSS….
• Adhere to the methodology used in the proposal.
• Make sure that the assessment is comprehensive and includes all relevant indicators.
• Ensure the quality of the survey at all times.
• Adhere to all national guidelines and standards, wherever they are available.
• Adhere to WHO standards of IYCF practices.
• Collect, enter, analyse and report the data and the narrative.
• Enter the data with experienced data entry person, to be hired and paid by the consultant.
• Proof read and review the report with a professional English writer.
Qualification /experience required for the assignment:
• A health professional or nutritionist with MPH or MSc or advanced professional degree.
• Experience in epidemiology and/or surveys.
• Significant experience in community based studies including conduct of surveys.
• Excellent analytical and statistical skills.
• Strong communication skills, with excellent written and spoken English.
• Excellent computing and analytical skills including at least in one of the following: EPI INFO, SPSS, ENA Software.
• Ability to work on own initiative and to meet deadlines.
• Excellent reporting and data consolidation skills.
• Proven competency and experience in monitoring, evaluation and impact assessment (with particular experience in the sectors of public health and nutrition).
• Proven experience in participatory research methods.
• Excellent analytical, research and report writing skills.
• Experience of working with pastoral community.
• Conduct initial stakeholder meetings in project areas to identify critical questions that will contribute to the survey.
• Provide initial briefing to consultant, approve consultant work plan and gather together and provide key documents to consultant.
• Conduct follow-up meeting with stakeholders to share findings from the draft report and to solicit their recommendations for possible solutions to challenges the assessment identifies – the number of meetings will vary depending on the number of stakeholders.
General Conditions of the consultancy:
• The consultant (s) will be based in Jebel Mara and will spend most of the duration in the field.
• IMC will support and facilitate the consultant(s) travel to Jebel Mara, and back to his or her home.
• The consultant will be required to abide by the IMC security procedures and rules in place for IMC staff.
• The consultant will cover his food and subsistence related cost while in Jebel Mara while IMC will offer only accommodation.
• The consultant will conduct his/her work using his/her own computer equipment. Other costs related directly to the task, like photocopying of questionnaires, shall be covered by IMC.
• Terms of payment will be negotiated upon acceptance of the consultancy. On the basis of the above proposed activities, the total budget for the consultancy will include VAT as required.
• Final payment to the consultant will be dependent on the completion of all deliverables.
• Assessment Report Approval: IMC Sudan reserves the right to organize a discussion and feedback session where the consultant presents the first draft report of the assessment. The consultant shall incorporate the feedbacks from this session as deemed necessary.
• Report Language; The assessment report shall be written in English.
• Mode of Submission: The consultant will submit both electronic and hard copies of the report written in Microsoft Word.
• Final report, electronic and hard copy, detailed including all necessary chapters of standard reports.
• Data and analysis outputs, raw and electronic version.
• Final report including short term and medium term recommendations.
HOW TO APPLY:
• Interested applicants are requested to send their submissions(both physical and financial proposal) in sealed and signed envelop, to IMC Office Amarat Street (41) House # 3, Block (11/s) with subject line: “Nutrition IYCF Survey, Consultancy” by , Feb 2018.
Applications must include:
• Cover letter.
• List of Surveys the consultant did using SMART method.
• At least 2 References from clients to whom survey was done in the past.