Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH
The GIZ Office in Khartoum is looking for a qualified person to fill the following position:
|Job Title:||Risk Management Advisor|
|Duty Station:||El Fasher and regular duty trips to El Geneina and Khartoum if required|
|Closing Date:||16 Jan 2018|
GIZ assists the German Government in achieving its objectives in the field of international cooperation. We offer demand-driven, tailor-made and effective services for sustainable development worldwide. Our actions are guided by the principles of sustainability. We advocate for human rights, equal opportunities and integrity, and we promote market-oriented, ecological and social economic development.
GIZ Sudan is looking for a qualified person to fill the following position: Risk Management Advisor for the project “Strengthening the capacities for reconstruction in Darfur” with duty station in El Fasher and regular duty trips to El Geneina and Khartoum if required.
The GIZ project “Strengthening the Capacities for Reconstruction in Darfur” aims at creating job opportunities promoting vocational training and the growth of artisan workshops in North and West Darfur. The programme is designed to contribute to two areas of intervention:
(1) establishing business development services (technical and non-financial services) to artisan workshops, especially those that provide vocational training to young people;
(2) improving the quality of informal demand-oriented vocational training. In order to upgrade informal vocational training, trainees of artisan workshops in El Geneina (West Darfur) and El Fasher (North Darfur) receive complementary basic and advanced technical trainings at two technical secondary schools. Supported trades are among others welding, plumbing, construction, electricity, restaurant management and leather.
GIZ cooperates with a series of stakeholders in West and North Darfur State including ministries of education, the departments of labour, technical secondary schools (TSS), craftsmen’s unions and microcredit institutions. Currently the project is Khartoum based with frequent travels of the technical team to El Fasher and El Geneina. The Risk Management Advisor will be based in El Fasher. The position will require regular travels within Sudan, specifically to El Geneina and Khartoum.
The Risk Management Advisor (RMA) is responsible for the daily management of the GIZ Risk Management System in North and West Darfur in coordination with the RMA GIZ Sudan. The system is aiming to manage, reduce, and mitigate operational risks for GIZ employees and to safeguard assets while implementing development cooperation tasks. The RMA reports and advises the GIZ and traveling project staff members on daily basis. In particular, the RMA is in close cooperation with RMA GIZ Sudan responsible for:
• managing all operational aspects of the GIZ risk management system in Darfur;
• advise systematically, plan and monitor all risk reduction and mitigation interventions aimed to ensure the safety of GIZ personal and assets;
• reporting to the Critical Incident Management Team (CIMT) of GIZ concerning security related developments;
• supporting GIZ projects and programs in the implementation of project specific security measures
• monitoring and analyses the security situation and renders advice based on the analysis in regards to: security, crisis management, safety, logistics such as communication equipment, tracking of personnel, vehicle, Hibernation, and Relocation & Evacuation (HRE) planning;
• monitoring movement of staff throughout the operational areas of GIZ and provides logistical support if needed
• executing Site Security Assessments (SSA) on demand;
• conducting security induction for GIZ personal or contracted service providers (permanent staff, consultants, visitors etc.) on the security situation and basic standard operating procedures (security briefing);
• organizing regular trainings (such as first aid, fire drills) for GIZ staff and coordinates all training requests from projects;
• supervising all contractors conducting security and safety related services in regards to GIZ office(s)
• liaising with international and national security-relevant stakeholders;
• providing biweekly security report.
• contributing to the ongoing development of instruments and assisting in introducing innovation and change.
• Security health related aspects, holistic assessment of new offices and preparation and upkeep of the GIZ Office as Safe House.
Within these responsibilities, tasks include:
1. Coordination and advisory:
• providing advice on all short-term and long-term issues pertaining to the fields of logistics, especially where security-related, safety, and security to the international and national office staff.
• advising and, following consultation with the manager, managing issues pertaining to the general and individual security and safety architecture and procedures for staff, offices, and residences.
• identifying issues requiring attention and advising management on options and solutions.
• instructing, training, and coaching staff on security and safety provisions (general, vehicle, road, residential, and office security and safety).
• coordinating logistical and infrastructural provisions to support security and safety measures including means of transport as well as drivers of rented cars.
• supporting regular checks and test runs of emergency equipment and procedures.
• supporting regular checks of and upgrades to the office and residential/accommodation security.
• providing cars and drivers with access pass to UNAMID Supercamps in El Fasher and El Geneina.
• controlling the provision of emergency supplies and functionality at offices, assembly points. and safe havens regularly.
• assessing the risks for staff movement in El Fasher and El Geneina continuously during implementation and advising traveling staff accordingly.
• assisting the management in establishing, maintaining, and expanding a security-relevant network in order to provide comprehensive information on the security situation.
• liaising with all security-relevant national and international organizations including contracted security providers and UNDSS El Fasher and El Geneina.
• supporting the point of contact for GIZ personnel with regard to all risk management-related issues.
• liaising with neighbors and communities close to offices and residences.
• supporting further liaison efforts through interpreting and translating.
3. Knowledge and information management:
• gives security briefings for incoming staff.
• dissemination of risk and security advise to office staff.
• supporting training and the raising of awareness regarding security and safety among office staff.
• reporting to management on any security- and safety-relevant incidents and developments.
• supporting the dissemination of relevant security updates to the office team including via SMS, phone cascade, and e-mail.
• gathering, analyzing, and reporting on security-related information independently.
• supporting the monitoring of the security situation in the Sudan, especially the GIZ implementation areas.
• overseeing the digitalization and archiving of emergency contact sheets, personal and medical emergency information, as well as security briefing confirmations.
4. Other duties/additional tasks:
• assisting other colleagues in taking necessary precautions to improve safety and security with regards to their fields of work.
• supporting the financial and administrative procedures where overlapping with his/her field of work.
• performing¬ other duties and tasks at the request by management and /or supervisor and / or team leader of the missions.
Required experience and qualifications:
• University degree/MA in safety and/or security or similar area.
• Hostile environment awareness and safety procedures training.
• Knowledge and understanding of political and security situation in Sudan.
• A minimum of 5 years of working experience
• Understands the requirements and predicaments of development. projects in volatile environments.
• Demonstrated decision-making capacity.
• Good working knowledge of modern communication systems (telephone, fax, e-mail, internet, sat phones, VHF, Skype) and computer literacy.
• Comprehensive language skills (English, Arabic, German an asset).
• Good communication skills.
• Good organizational, planning, and time-management skills.
• Ability to function well in a multi-cultural environment.
• Reliability and discretion as well as a good sense of confidentiality.
• Willingness to upskill as required by the tasks to be performed.
To submit your application, send your CV and cover letter in English to:
E-mail: email@example.com – the name of the position you are applying for must be entered in the subject line.
The application shall not exceed 1MB. References and degrees will be requested if required and shall not be sent via e-mail.
* If you do not hear from GIZ until the 15th of February 2018, your application was not further considered.